Strap on skeg

Hey guys, there are places that our group kayaks that have stretches of calm straight water, then many places along the way are fun whitewater. I love taking my ww kayak because of the spots that are great for ww. I am wanting to be able to just strap on a skeg to help me track straight when we are on the periods of straight calm water before the next white water spot. Any ideas on my best solution for this? Thanks in advance!!

Feathercraft, the folding kayak maker, makes a flexible rubber skeg that attaches via 4 nylon straps with delrin plastic clips to the perimeter lines of their boats. I’ve used one of them for years with several different boats. The skeg really does aid in tracking and being flexible it isn’t damaged if you hit an obstacle. I don’t think they sell them individually now, but you could make one that worked the same way. People have made them of thick rubber or nylon plastic that attach by sliding into a slotted flat base piece attached permanently to the hull with through-bolts and rubber washers.

Yeh, I’m thinking I will have to make my own as well. Are you sliding yours over the front or the rear to help aid in tracking?

buy a crossover boat- like a katana, fusion, xp- to name just a few, the skegs are deployable meaning they tuck out of the way for ww. Skegs do help with tracking when you have them deployed. Thus you can be a lot sloppier with your strokes and still go straight in a ww boat, I haven’t noticed much difference in overall speed. In the flats it probably is a little more efficient with the skeg down because more of the stroke is dedicated to the power phase rather than course correction.

Yeh I have thought about going that route as well tdaniel, but my 7 year old son wants to go with me so bad, so I need to purchase a tandem first, just not sure which one…wish there was a kayak that just had a bigger cockpit he could fit in without having to go the tandem route since I’ll be the only one paddling

Pakboat makes a couple of folding kayak models that can be converted from solo to tandem. Their Puffin Saranac can also be used either open without the optional deck, like a sit on top, or with a solo or tandem deck on it. The inflatable seats in them make them great for kids. There are recreational style boats with oversized cockpits that a small child can fit in, though sit on tops offer more room. Here’s a link to a photo gallery showing Pakboat Puffins in use. Yes, they can be used in moderate whitewater as well.
http://pakboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=204&Itemid=177