Strapping a kayak to a honda accord coupe

I recently bought a kayak, and i’m a little worried about strapping it to the roof of my car. It is a coupe, with a naked roof, and i was wondering if any of yall have tried strapping a kayak to a naked coupe roof?

Now that you have a boat, look at racks. I’ve seen boats strapped to roofs many times but it doesn’t seem the safest way to carry a boat.

I would never strap a kayak directly to a naked roof. Not only will it possibly scratch up the car, it will slide around and the risk of it coming loose and nailing a vehicle behind you is just too great.

At a bare minimum you want foam blocks. Walmart has a kit for under $20. Search their website for “Attwood Kayak Car Top Carrier”.

Also, make sure you use both the straps and the stern and bow tie downs.

I carry a 21 foot surfski on a Toyota Corolla with foam blocks strapped to the roof. As long as I tie it down twice across the deck and at both ends it’s very firm. However I don’t have to drive but a mile so if I have to go on the interstate I’ll use my other vehicle that has a roof rack and kayak straddles.

Getting a roof rack is definitely a good investment.

I use foam blocks on my Prelude. Works just fine. I carry the boat upside down and strap the blocks to the boat. The trick to loosen the straps that hold the blocks before tightening the main straps. If you don’t do it the blocks will not curve along the roof comfortably. Then, as the last step tighten those. Not super tight, just enough to hold the blocks in place.
On the bow I use two separate straps so they work against each other. Just one stern strap for now, but I need to look into using two as well.
No access to the trunk, so I pile up the gear on the seats.

The blocks I use have cutouts for a roof rack so I am able to run a strap through there. An added advantage of these straps is that I can grab the boat to yank it up to the roof.

Well if you only kayak a little bit then foam blocks will work ok. But if you go out alot get a roof rack. Its much faster and easier to load with a proper roof rack. Plus I feel its much more secure than foam blocks. BUT if you don’t have the cash then foam blocks do work.

Sooner or later there will be grit on the foam blocks and the paint will get scratched.

@Overstreet said:
Sooner or later there will be grit on the foam blocks and the paint will get scratched.

He could put some 3M paint protection film where blocks go.

I have a Honda Fit which is smaller than your accord. I used foam blocks for awhile, but it was unstable in strong winds and it scratched my car along with other damage. For $200 get yourself some car top carriers. You will be happy you did. A nice set of Malone “V” type carriers are also excellent.

Check this out. clcboats.com/shop/products/new/malone-versarail.html

I used similar ones from Sears for years back when cars had gutters.

@string said:
I used similar ones from Sears for years back when cars had gutters.

I wouldn’t use them personally. I’m a Yakima fan. But look closer they have vaccum towers with suckers like no Sears Rack. SeaSucker make a group of racks held by nothing but the vacccum tower. These economy racks run straps through the passenger compartment. maloneautoracks.com/VersaRail-TM-Bare-Roof-Cross-Rail-System-58.html

That and both Yakima and Thule have car fit programs that get you the right stuff for your make of car. Unfortunately for a lot of folks the rack costs as much as the kayak.
fitlookup.yakima.com/

Yakima Rack 101
https://explore.yakima.com/rack-101?_ga=2.83233878.1506956018.1508178648-1935980716.1494723099

@Overstreet said:
That and both Yakima and Thule have car fit programs that get you the right stuff for your make of car. Unfortunately for a lot of folks the rack costs as much as the kayak

In my case more.

My first kayak, a 13.5ft Old Towne Egret, cost $250. I then purchased around $1,000 worth of accessories. The racks, modular, have been on six different vehicles. Same racks are now carrying the high dollar boats.

Hello,
I’m driving a Honda Accord. Thule aerobars hold a 16.5’ Wenonah Eco on top of the bars. The frame of a Wingman rides between roof and Thule, strapped over canoe. 65-70 mph, holds well.
I check ratchet straps as often as I stop.

Used Thule and Yakima systems can usually be found on the used market for good prices. Craigslist, Ebay, paddle shops, 2nd hand gear shops, camper shell shops, etc. Determine the length of bar you need and the recommended tower type. Buy them used and then order the fit kit appropriate for your car.

I use commercial rubber door mat ($20 from Home Depot) to pad where my canoe may scratch car roof. Said door mat can double as kneeling pads for canoe. Then add LOTS of pool noodles strapped to roof with carabiniers. Strengthen pool noodles with weather resistant tape. Finally strap down bow, stern and sides with ratchet tie-downs. Twist the strap on each side once to kill road noise.

Door mat is not necessary, if you use enough bath towels.

hopefully in the last 13 months Courtney Ann has figured it out…