Strip built kayak

Saw this strip built kayak on CList. What is the purpose of having such a high coaming surrounding the cockpit? How could you ever attach a skirt to it?

That sure could leave some nice bruise marks…

There are all kinds of builders/designers out there.
Gotta know what you are looking at.
I’ve seen some great builds and horrible builds of the same boat.

Think older ('70s) version of a recreational style kayak. Not meant for a skirt.

Thanks. Grayhawk. With these hand-built wooden kayaks I’ve no idea what I’m looking at. I had seen that boxy cockpit setup before so maybe it’s for a specific purpose.

…for people that can’t make round. It is seen on old decked over duck boats and other non descript boats. Then on at least one Glenn-L design.
http://www.boatdesigns.com/9-Kidyak-kids-kayak/products/178/

Here is a modern stitch and glue sea Kayak for comparison. It is a Shearwater Merganser 17w. I built it back in 2011. I picked the kit up off of craigslist. I added the decorative shearline,and did several wood burnings on it before glassing it.

That’s a beautiful kayak, Castoff. Love the decorative artistry. I wonder why the process is called “stitch and glue.” When I read those words, I first think of stitching cloth (or skin).

@Rookie said:
That’s a beautiful kayak, Castoff. Love the decorative artistry. I wonder why the process is called “stitch and glue.” When I read those words, I first think of stitching cloth (or skin).

Well, the wooden panels are literally “stitched” together with short lengths of wire to hold them in place before being “glued” along their seams with epoxy and fiberglass tape. Then the stitches are all removed and you have a very strong boat.

See http://www.clcboats.com/default/stitch-and-glue-boat-building.html for an example.

Ditto what kfbrady said. Epoxy that is used for the fiberglass is used to “glue” all the seams but the one between the hull and deck. Then the hull and deck are separated so the seams and bulkheads can be taped in with fiberglass and epoxy, and epoxy applied to the interior wood surfaces. Once that is done then the hull and deck are joined and taped

Thanks. Checked out the CLC site; looks like a process for those with skills, patience, and lots of woodworking equipment. A well-built kayak has to be a source of great pride.

A kit boat cut out by CLC’s machines can be assembled with relatively small amounts of equipment. Mostly hand tools. One _could do it _with a pair of clines, a block plane, a sanding block, hand saw/hammer (saw horses) and fiber glassing tools.

Personally though I’m one of those “more power” wood workers.

@Rookie said:
Thanks. Checked out the CLC site; looks like a process for those with skills, patience, and lots of woodworking equipment. A well-built kayak has to be a source of great pride.

You really don’t need much in the way of woodworking skills or experience to build a stitch and glue boat. You do need patience and a decent work space with good lighting. A power finish sander is helpful, but not necessary. A block plane is necessary for some CLC designs.

The fiber-glassing might be more intimidating to those without prior experience with it. The exterior of these boats, and at least the interior seams, are covered with a layer of fiberglass. But it is not that difficult a learning process.