Strip built no skeg--glass skeg: why?

Hi All, Am curious why so many strip built boats (outer island, BBK, Redfish) claim not to need a skeg and still show acceptable maneuverability, little tendency to weathercock, track well with good speed. Similar looking glass brit boats all seem to come with skeg, and a friend with a BBK recluse says it weathercocks a lot. Am thinking of an Impex OI, and wondering how it performs in wind (given low windage)and in quartering following seas? Anyone with experience with one or more of these strip built boats and/or the OI in glass? Thoughts appreciated, John

Oh my Gosh…

– Last Updated: Jul-07-05 7:32 AM EST –

I am no expert and I’m sure the strip builders and designers will be able to give better reasons but I own Two S&G Terns and a Caribou S.

IMHO It is easier to get the fine lines of a hull when built in wood than in a mold. Example, when the Caribou went from wood to production FG compromises in the design were necessary and now the Caribou works better with a skeg..
I will now defer to the experts and look forward to this thread..

Operative word is “claim”…
but in general, the strippers are lower volume than the commercial “expedition” boats, with less freeboard, less windage, and thus less tendency to weathercock.

what they said and…
applied physics says that given the right boat hull speed AND wind speed from abeam/ abaft, ANY boat will have issues. MOST will weathercock, a very good thing (safety) and some will leecock. many ‘claim’ to be balanced but the window in which they actually balance is quite small. Especially at the upper end of the wind scale. as in YIKES. =:-0)

A retractable skeg helps open the window.

steve