Strobe light

I use the
Harmony Strobe. It’s attached to my PFD and runs on one D battery. Sucker is bright, waterproof and USCG approved.

http://gallery.rei.com/media/863710.jpg

The original poster still hasn’t made it clear if they want an emergency strobe light or a navigational light. Big difference between the two.

Sorry our “Club” paddles in the dark
more than it does in the daytime. Mostly we test beer and don’t use any lights at all. It disturbs the stargazeing.

… and I got run over by a house boat
… that was tied up to shore.

that was my experience as well
paddling solo in SF Bay. With ACR lights that dimmed on the third or fourth paddle. Anchor Steam Liberty Ale or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as co-pilot.

Yes,our club at night

– Last Updated: Mar-30-07 7:10 AM EST –

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/Indy425/Raystown%20V/Edrcrossingthemoonbeam.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/Indy425/Raystown%20V/midnightmuckel2.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/Indy425/Kinzua%20frost%20campout/JimattacksC2g.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/Indy425/Kinzua%20frost%20campout/CrazyEd.jpg

agreed
I think the original poster understood. Glad you’re safe.

Lyn

good photos
something tells me that you folks could be heard well on the water.

here it is

– Last Updated: Mar-30-07 10:38 AM EST –

from the park at Pt Richmond to Red Rock Island next to the Richmond San Rafael Bridge. Boat traffic and a ferry runs between the island and the fuel terminal dock. If a person is paddling out in boat traffic at night they should have running lights. The red/green running lights I saw were the ferry on the other side of the bridge about 3/4mile away. If I had the Tectite light the ferry would have easily seen me 1/4mile away, the Tektite lights are that good.
Turning on a dim bulb that is only visible in a few hundred feet won't do it. Paddling like mad while "shining a bright white light to prevent collision" is hard to do and is unrealistic around 10-100ton boats looking out for other boats with running lights.
The Richmond marina is in the top right part of the photo, the club was going all of 1/2 mile to a little island across from the Marina when back at the marina we were reamed royally by the captain for the inadequate little lights and cylumen sticks.
Methinks were are talking about totally different paddling environments.
The little ACR lights are nice when the batteries are 90% drained for seeing buddies against a black background. Likewise light sticks. I've used the battery powered ones from the dive shop for that purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Richsky.JPG

this is a perfect example of the speeds and distances.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?s=14&lon=-122.4306002829966&lat=37.92873330996834&w=2

in case of oncoming traffic
You should:

1. not be there when the oncoming traffic continues on it’s course.

2. have running lights so that oncoming traffic has as much time to process your position/direction as they would a multiple of other sources of light.

If you cannot do #2 then you should not put yourself into the circumstances of #1. The problem with the ACR and similar lights is that they have been the standard accessory item in paddle shops/marine supply for years because they are one of the few totally waterproof 360 lights around that can clip on a pfd.

As recreational consumers the assumption made is “that’s all I need” because that’s where you got the kayak. But once you paddle the toy kayak into the channel with 2-200 ton boats it’s no longer a recreational activity for the other boats if they run over you.

The Coast Regs are based on the simple reality that “boats” can carry the powersupply needed for running lights and small human powered craft were never designed for it given the technology of the times. What folks had for small rowboats would be an oil lamp or “torch”, anyone with half a brain knows you don’t try and mix up a small boat with big boats where the big boats can’t see you.

Sorry for harping on this but it’s really easy to go from paddling with friends along the shoreline or hugging the docked boats to paddling 20’ further out where there are boats and think there’s no big difference because you’ve got “a white light to shine in case of collision”. Thereafter you might think it would be the same thing as sharing a marina channel for 1000’ or crossing a channel. The first is like roller blading on the sidewalk, the latter is like roller blading on the freeway.

There’s nothing like being a mile in the S.F. Bay with incandescent ACR light dimming to candle yellow, back up light diming after 10 minutes then realizing half way back that flicking the flashlight on for five seconds is all the light you have left. With lights that have “8hrs burn time” it doesn’t take very many uses to find out you’re on the last legs of the 8hrs.

I have to

– Last Updated: Mar-30-07 12:45 PM EST –

interject something here. And the following isn't directed at you NT, it's the collective "you."

"You only need a light that can be turned on in time to prevent a collision."

Boats and ships don't have brakes. They can't stop momentum even if they are going 8 kts. Get the hell out of the way. It is -your- responsibility to -not- impeed the safe passage of vessels in the traffic lanes. You don't own the water.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a big sore spot with me.

Original poster…
…may, for instance, consider reading pages 260-270 or so of ‘Fundementals of Kayak Navigation’ by Burch.

Each state regulates lights for paddle
craft in addition to CG regs. Texas requires that one carry a bright light that can be seen from all sides…a 360.

We can beat this subject to death but
fact is…that is the way the law is written

Know the US Coast Guard Minimum Safety Regulations!

Those who use a canoe or kayak should be aware that the minimum safety requirements apply to them just like any other vessel.

A wearable life jacket for each person on board and some sort of efficient sound producing device (such as a plastic whistle) are required by both U.S. Coast Guard and state law. In addition, navigation between sunset and sunrise requires that a white light is available, and is to be displayed in sufficient time to avoid a collision.

USCG If your vessel is under oars, then it should display lights for a sailboat (Figures 3 or 4), if practical. As an option, your vessel your vessel may carry a flashlight or lighted lantern that can show a white light in sufficient time to prevent collision.

Kayak & Canoe Requirements

According to the United States Coast Guard Boating Statistics report for year 2002, there were 101 deaths associated with Canoe’s and Kayaks. Of those, 93% were due to drowning. The Coast Guard estimates that 84% of drowning victims in the report would have survived if they had been wearing a PFD (life jacket).

Personal Flotation Device (1 per person)

Sound Signaling Device (whistle or horn)

Visual Distress Flag for Day use.

Flashlight if going out during hours of darkness.

playing in the streets
many of these boats/ships are at work. We’re playing. If we’re going to play where others work we should be able to tell where the yellow line is located.

oh,yeah, lights aren’t tractor beams able to stop tons of boat in motion.

fact is
light doesn’t prevent collisions anymore than neoprene prevents hypothermia.

Got a hydrostar and it works
well however I wear it on my PFD for rescue only, and save the suction cup/magnet combo for use on my van in case of it conks out at night.

Here in SW Fla, we have to have a light available to “prevent” collision, but also have a requirement for a white running light on craft 17’ or over (different requirements for longer boats). It’s supposed to be seen for a full 360 degrees. Rather than wear the light on my head and

attract insects, I added a 30" removable mast by the day hatch and attached my light to it. This lets me be seen by most small boats, and I’ve learned to stay the hell away from the visiting tourists in their 40-50 footers as they don’t seem to care where they or anyone else is.

Few small boats (16-24’) follow the rule on lights in early morning here, and I find kayakers are about the only breed using lights here before sunup. Of course, that accounts for the number of fools I’ve seen taking their new boats right over oyster beds at low tide here. Gotta love those boats following a kayak to use the “short cuts” to the Gulf.

Terry

That

Yep, that’s what the

– Last Updated: Mar-30-07 9:42 PM EST –

law says, but sometimes a law is just a bunch of words that mean the minimum. The law also states that no one can prevent the safe passage of vessels in the traffic lanes. Common sense should prevail. But if that were the case, I'd be unemployed. ;)

Clarion wasn’t at fault
The houseboat didnt display its 360 degree white light in time to prevent a collision.

I don’t know about where you live but,
On the inland Lakes it’s this simple, If you are in a kayak and playing in the shipping lane the Coast Guard will promptly inform you that you have no right to be there. This is true of power boats, jet skies, and fishermen too. In fact if you are out too far in a boat less than 16’ and there is any chance of foul weather they will approach you and simply tell you to head back in closer to shore. That’s their job. The bottom of Lake Erie is quite literally littered with small boats.

sure
but how much pressure can a white light exert against other boats to prevent collision?