Strobe light

NT You and I are saying the same
thing. :slight_smile: Nothing to debate. The law requires the minimum, a light at night. If someone expects that a little light will be enough to avoid a collision, they need to step away from the crack pipe. Unfortunately, there really are people like that out there. Use common sense, be alert and don’t impeed the safe passage of vessels in the traffic lanes.

Anyone can cross the traffic lanes, but you should do so smartly ie; securite broadcast, watching for inbound/outbound traffic, etc.

Hi there, I have a similar question, but I kayak during the morning, in daylight.In my case, when I first glimpse the catamaran 5miles away I cannot tell if the pilot has seen me. Its only at half to a qtr mile away where he makes a course correction which tells me that he has seen me.
I was considering trying to flash my flash light when he is still 5 miles out, with the hope that he gives a light signal back so i can relax (instead of paddling like mad to distance myself from the perceived path).

is there a standard light signal?
thanks

All we are supposed to use is a white light, non flashing. Flashing lights and colored lights have different meanings on the water, so we are supposed to avoid those to avoid confusing other mariners. Flashing strobes are used for emergencies, and just informing another boat that is a distance away of your position is not an emergency.

For a reasonably maneuverable boat (basically anything besides a deep draft ship or tug/barge), I am not worried about avoiding a collision until we are well within a mile of each other. Still plenty of time for me to take evasive actions to prevent a collision. At 5 miles out, you can’t tell if you are on a collision course with any accuracy, so no one will be starting to take avoidance measures yet.

I am only trying to make sure it sees me if we are getting withing a few hundred yards and appear we are on a collision course and not clear they have seen me.

thing is, without being sure if he saw you, any action you take (stay put, go back, plod ahead) could still leave you dead in his tracks if he touches his wheel. i would be happy to take a break and let him pass if i knew he saw me.

some sample images of head on ships off youtube:

Using an appropriate light to make yourself more visible can’t hurt. But keep in mind, if your light is something that may make the boats wonder if you might be in distress, you might actually cause the boat to come toward you in order to determine if you are ok. At least they have seen you in this case, but they may make you uncomfortable as they come straight toward you.

Note - the images you posted are all ships in what looks to be narrow, marked channels. In these cases, the ships are limited in their maneuverability (have to stay in channel) and they have right of way over everyone. It is our responsibility to stay out of their way. If you are in the middle of the channel, even if they see you and your light, they may not be able to avoid you. But staying out of their way is pretty easy in most cases - just stay at far edge or outside of the channel and only cross the channel directly and quickly when you confirm it is clear.

Military ships have some added rules requiring us to stay X distance away. I wouldn’t even try to be anywhere near.

i was hoping there was some kind of (daytime) light signal meaning , yes i saw you,i will wait, you can pass.

areas like this, you can be taken by surprise by fast vessels like catamarans.

thanks

VHF is your best bet

White light visible 360 degrees. That is the correct signal for a paddle boat. Getting a good one is a worthy idea.

Rest of it is the paddler. Do your best not to be anywhere motor boats can run you over. Staying in shallower water where they would tear their bottoms out at night is not a bad idea.

Agree with Celia. In addition be aware that many PFD lights do not meet the requirements unless they can be unclipped to signal an approaching boat. They are still valuable as a secondary light that will still be with you if you become separated from your boat.

If kayaking at night I will have a LED pedestal light on my rear deck and a PFD light, both turned on. I also have a Princeton Tec diver’s flashlight, not turned on, bungeed on my foredeck. I have a strobe stored behind the seat with other emergency gear. For reasons that I have often stated on these forums I always have a light on at night. I do not try to emulate a power boat.

In addition to lights, the USCG and most states require some sort of emergency distress signaling device be readily available, depending on where you are paddling. For kayaks that generally means three aerial flares. That’s a whole other topic.