Struggling to Keep Paddle Routes Straight, any Ideas?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been having a bit of trouble keeping a consistent route during my paddling trips, especially on longer journeys. No matter how focused I try to stay, I often find myself drifting off course, and by the time I realize it, I’ve wasted a ton of energy trying to correct it. I’m curious if anyone else here has experienced the same thing and what you’re doing to stay on track?

For context, I paddle on lakes and rivers mostly, and while I’ve been at it for a while, I’m not a seasoned pro or anything. What frustrates me the most is that when I get into a good paddling rhythm, I seem to zone out and lose track of small course adjustments until I’m way off course. It’s not like I’m in any real danger, but it definitely adds unnecessary time and effort to my outings.

One thing I thought might help is using some kind of tracker. I know that cyclists use trackers to monitor their routes, keep track of distances, and even analyze their performance over time. For example, an online bike ride distance calculator helps cyclists estimate the distance of their rides by using GPS data to track their paths. This not only gives them real-time feedback on their progress but also helps them review and plan future rides more effectively. I’ve been inspired by this idea and wondered if there was a way to apply a similar concept to paddling. I’m not talking about a high-tech solution, but maybe a tool that could help me keep an eye on my direction in a simple, practical way. Something that alerts me when I’m drifting or helps me map my route so I can improve over time. Anyone have experience with something like this?

I’ve also tried the good old “use landmarks” trick, like focusing on a tree or a building in the distance, but it only works sometimes. When I’m on open water or when weather conditions change, visual cues are hard to rely on. It’s easy to lose track of where I’m heading, and it can throw me off even more. I’ve heard others suggest practicing more with technique to keep a straight line, which I might need to work on too.

I’m really curious to hear if any of you use tools or specific techniques to stay on course during your paddling trips. Should I just practice more or is there a tool out there that’s helped you? Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks!

I’ve found that doing it the “Old fart way” works about as good as any high tech, high cost method: Put a compass on the boat, have visual cues, and know the wind and current, and their effects on your boat.

I have bowed to the tech world by also having a GPS, which will show if I’m drifting. 99% of the time, these are all you’ll need in a paddling context, IMO.

1 Like

Do you know how to take a range/transit? If not try this description
[Using Ranges (Transits) | Paddling.com]

Pretty much any GPS will let you enter waypoints or a destination point and give you a straight line course to follow. Glancing at the screen will tell you if you are on course or wandering off of it by 50’ or less. Waterproof GPSs are fairly inexpensive these days.

Of course a compass and chart using visual landmarks is the classic method although you must compensate for wind and current if you don’t have visual contact with the destination, which takes a bit more skill.

The interesting thing which most people don’t appreciate, if you have a visual landmark and head straight toward it or use ferry angles to set the course, vector geometry will tell you that the energy expended is exactly the same. Ferry angle calculations are most valuable if you don’t have a direct visual destination.

My first though is the wind is blowing you around. I have taken my sea kayak (assume you are in a kayak) out on my local river a couple of times, and I was all over the place. I spent a lot of time edging the boat trying to maintain course. Then I got lazy and put down the skeg - problem solved.

Rivers will tend to channel wind so you are either paddling into it or it will be at your back. In a downstream wind the skeg may help. On lakes the wind can be coming from any direction, and if they are big enough lakes can generate their own wind. Someone posted this at some point, and I refer it all the time.

I am originally an open boater, so using the skeg seems like cheating, but it does make life a lot easier in the wind.

Drift is a very important piece of navigation. I’ve paddled with folks who know all of the technical information, but don’t seem to implement it in practice. It’s such a perfectly non-set variable. The wind will act upon the same boat differently with changes in weight, speed, angle to the wind. Currents are rarely consistent moving across a crossing. With tidal currents, water level and current speed are constantly changing. But, if you care about it, through experience you can develop an understanding of it and a feel for it. Learn how fast you paddle at varying efforts, in varying conditions, in varying winds as appropriate for you. Adopt a rule of thumb for ferry angles dealing with currents and for countering wind drift. Test your figuring in areas where waypoints are available, or where it’s easy to see your degree of error. Make adjustments accordingly. Through practice and experience, you will both understand the navigational concepts of drift, and also trust, in real time, your implementation of headings to counter drift.

1 Like

All of the replies given so far are really good, though for some, I think more applicable to advanced big-water crossings than simple paddling on average lakes and rivers. I infer something in your description of the situation that seems to suggest that the heart of the problem might be your tendency to “zone out”, and I’m not sure what the best solution to that might be. If that’s what the problem is, though, I’m VERY familiar with it. For years I had a regular paddling partner who simply did not focus on technique or staying on course. She mostly tended to veer left. If she was on my right, invariably she’d come crowding right alongside until I needed to get out of the way somehow. If she was on my left, she’d veer off unrestrained in the wrong direction while remaining completely unaware, and in situations where safety and keeping in close contact was an issue, she’d sometimes even complain that I was getting too far away when in fact she was just plain going in the wrong direction! Some people just aren’t wired to focus on details and there’s probably nothing that can be done to substantially change that. However, if any of this seems to match what’s going on with you, all I can suggest is that you learn to recognize that this is how your brain works and use that as motivation to try to remain more connected to all your visual cues.

You also mentioned that paddling toward a landmark sometimes doesn’t work, and specifically you mentioned that this might happen when the weather changes. I’m not sure how to interpret that. If paddling toward a landmark doesn’t work in calm conditions, all I can guess is that the topic of the preceding paragraph applies. If something such as windy conditions ruins the reliability of your use of distant “aiming points”, that’s perfectly normal, and I have some suggestions.

When paddling in windy conditions, take every opportunity to use a PAIR of landmarks to keep track of your course. This won’t always be possible, but watch for these opportunities and use them. For example, if you want to aim at that house on the distant shore, keep track of how that house lines up with some landmark behind it, such as an identifiable spot on a hill in the background. If you are aiming at a tree and all that can be seen are trees, pick another tree behind it. They don’t have to “visually match” on your sight line, just keep them aligned via an imaginary vertical line that connects them. Just be aware that the closer the pair of objects are to each other, the less sensitive this method will be for it’s intended purpose (see below). If you happen to be paddling toward a peninsula, this is a perfect chance to practice. Paddle toward the point of the peninsula while noting a distance landmark on the far shore behind it which aligns with the tip of the peninsula. In any situation like these, if there’s a crosswind, you will quickly be able to detect how your actual course becomes diagonally “off” from where the boat is actually pointed because the pair of landmarks will not both stay lined up with each other. Make adjustments to your heading to bring the two objects back in alignment, and then keep adjusting so that there is no “drift” of the two objects relative to each other. In other words, when your corrected heading is proper, the two objects remain lined up with each other even though your boat is not pointed directly at them. The fact that the two objects stay lined up with each other tells you that your actual course is directly toward them. But that’s not the end of my recommendations about that.

When you are paddling in situations where you can line up two distant objects along your intended path, not only can you navigate that way, but you can become accustomed to how much you need to correct your heading to account for various kinds of crosswinds. I use canoes and rowboats, which have “a lot more boat” above the waterline than a kayak, and usually, “less boat” below the waterline, which of course magnifies the tendency for being pushed sideways so that my actual course becomes substantially “off” from the direction the boat is pointed. This will be less of a problem with a kayak, but I’m just pointing out that this issue of drifting off course is a very real thing in my boating world. One thing I do is try to pay attention to these visual cues using paired landmarks that tell me how much I’m straying off of the line matching my intended path, even when it doesn’t really matter. Anytime you can line up two objects that way, it’s just an opportunity to practice. Make it a point to do this even using landmarks that are bad for long-term use but temporarily available (like two trees, which you can’t keep paddling toward for more than a short while, or the alignment of a particular location on a boat dock with a distant mooring buoy), and just pay attention to those two landmarks for the short time that you are able to use them. In my own case, as a result of this kind of practice, if I’m paddling or rowing across a big lake in strong wind and all I have is a single landmark on a distant shore to aim at (nothing in the background to help me identify sideways drift), I already have a pretty good idea how much I need to “aim off course” in order to “stay on course”.

And here’s a final hint about correcting for crosswinds. If you don’t have a pair of landmarks on the sight line that matches your intended path, and you are not absolutely sure how much to correct for the crosswind, make the correction bigger than you think it needs to be. Make it a LOT bigger. There are two reasons. First, it’s more likely that you will underestimate the effect of the wind than to over-estimate, so overcompensating from the get-go simply makes sense. Second, if you really do overcompensate and your actual course ends up taking you in a direction that is toward the upwind side of your intended path, it’s far easier to gradually re-adjust in the downwind direction than to do the opposite. Yes, if you over-correct for the wind along most of your route, you will be wasting a bit of energy the whole way, but you will partly make up for that when re-correcting in the downwind direction, and overall it’s not as bad as having to aim even more sharply into the wind to re-correct when you are closer to the endpoint of your crossing, which will be the case if you under-correct for most of the way. Usually, of course, it’s not that big of a deal to screw up your estimate for accounting for crosswind when going across a lake, but becoming more aware of how to detect and correct for sideways drift can be kind of fun, besides being a really useful skill sometimes.

4 Likes

Well written.