Stuck Deciding between a Rec and Touring/Sea Yak

I second CraigF’s comments about the Perception Carolina 14. The boat is not as bargy as many other shorter kayaks, and I have observed adequate handling ability in choppy conditions and waves. The cockpit is not snug, but not so roomy that you can’t maneuver it well in challenging conditions. Friend of mine even landed a small halibut in their Carolina. (I paddle in Alaska, combination of bluewater fjords and inland freshwater lakes. My personal kayak is a Feathercraft Wisper, but I have paddled friends’ Carolinas)

1. Get a sea kayak!

You’re slim and fit. And being a swimmer, you know how to relax on water. A 22" beam boat may terrify a land shark. But you’re more likely to find it stable enough to able to take a nap in it.

1. Stick with a boat that has a rudder if you plan to fish from it.

In general, rudder is more forgiving. You can be sloppy in your technique and get away with it. And if you take to the activity as a sport, it won’t hinder you either.

1. Any boat between 14-16’, with beam 22-25", and a rudder, will give you all the flexibility as a first sea yak.

I “third” the Carolina line. it’s a boat that’s easy for beginners but can still serve more experienced kayakers. You won’t win any speed races. But if you find you want to go fast, you’ll end up buying a totally different boat (or 2, or 3) at a later time anyway. This will become your guest boat, and boat you take out when you really want to be lazy.

Peter, there is more room under the deck.

Not all rec kayaks are created equal.
If you look at some of the responses I got to my post, you’d think a rec kayak isn’t even safe on a farm pond. But some are quite capable. It depends on the boat.
You might also hear that you can’t get a spray skirt for a rec kayak. Not true. Wilderness Systems even markets their own spray skirts to fit their rec kayaks and Seals makes skirts to fit almost any.
I’m not sure any have a front bulkhead, but a number of them have rear bulkheads, and by using a spray skirt and a float bag in the front, you increase what it’s safe to do.
I’ve read that their lack of maneuverability limits what they can do, but they are almost all under 12.5 ft. If you’ve ever tried to turn a 17.5 ft. straight keel canoe, a short kayak seems very maneuverable in comparison.
But a rec kayak does have limitations. I wouldn’t take it down Westwater Canyon or out on the open ocean. The better ones are capable of paddling in protected bays and class II whitewater.
I wouldn’t take a touring kayak down rapids over class II either.
Take a look at the Eddyline Equinox. Not your typical rec kayak.

Willowleaf, I understand the Tsunami line well, because I own most of the line, and still love them all. However, I learned about some fitment issues from your posts. I would never discourage someone from buying one, but fitting into one could be compared to buying a shoe and adapting it to fit your foot with pad inserts. Another post, forgot where, mentioned how a boat has to be designed to load the waterline around a center of gravity, and balancing the load front to back. I bought the 145 Tsunami because the 16 inch deck accommodates my foot comfort; however, even with the large displacement. I was overloading the boat by a theoretical 34 lbs. I lost that much weight since last year, and the boat feels better and performs in rough seas like an entirely different boat. My point is there’s nothing wrong with generic fit, if that’s what you want.

My niece was happy with her 120 and 140 Pungos. Then she tried the 140 Tdunami that her mother loves. It was tight and rode lower in the water due to weigh differences, so she tried one of my 145 Tsunamis. It felt better but too high. Moral of the story. Try different boats. Fit has everything to do with comfort. This may not answer anyone’s question about the best boat, but I hope it help you ask question. I didn’t have this resource when I went shopping

1 Like

Well, will be the same if use a dual motor : )
https://pacmotor.com/landing-one

1 Like

I wouldn’t take anything down Westgate Canyon. I like kayaks that come with a walker.

I wish WS/ Pelican would bring back the Pungo 140 with the updates of the current Pungo series.

The 140 Pungo was a fantastic boat, despite limitations. I have two duralites, and will never get rid of them. It the first boat I pull out for a novice.

1 Like

Pungo 140 is a good looking boat that is good for a larger paddler.
I do not paddle with a phone in my hand. I had just taken photos of the photographer.

She’s in a Pungo 120.

1 Like

Don’t mind saying that is a serene picture. A good looking post, and a place where I would have no question launching my 140 duralite Pungo vs the 145 Tsunami (still my primary choice.

If you never had a chance to drive a 140 Pungo duralite, you would be surprised. My understanding is they had trouble with consistency in the molding stage. If you see one used and it suits your paddle spot, such as lakes with narrow width but many finger coves (keeps you near a shoreline in the event it capsizes) inspect for hull defects and do it. I would think carefully before using on a lake like the Susquehanna from York to Conowingo Dam. I’ve been on the water at 8:00 am and by 10:00 am, the waves were over 18 inches with 6 feet between peaks. Bad for a Pungo, because it falls off the peak, just I time to be pounded on the snout by the next wave.

The irony about the rec style is how its designed with an open concept, then they offer a strap on console and a skirt to correct the shortcomings. The option telegraphs deficiencies. If you expect high waves, I take my 145 Tsunami in 30 inch waves and keep dry without a skirt. Just a thought. And the Tsunami give superior control. More dialed brands offer even more control and playfulness.

jyak, you have described Lake Hartwell where the photos were taken. We enjoy paddling the coves and creeks and leave the big water for the power craft.
If I’m expecting rough water conditions, I bring my Tarpon 160 but that is typically salt water.

Tarpon 160? Never knew they came that big.

160 Tarpon - Discontinued. Lake Hartwell! How long would it take you to put eyes on ever inlet of that octopus. You live in the land of milk and honey. Don’t tell me it has waterfront. I might be compelled to move. You reminded me that my brother has/had a waterfront lot (lease?) on a power company lake in TN.

The longest Tarpon now is the 140. I guess the 160 weren’t popular.
Hartwell is huge with many great places to explore. We tend to go to the closer ones to home, about a 45 minute drive. I have friends who regularly do long distance paddles there, combat camping as they go.
There are always homes and property near the lake for sale.
Hartwell is a Corps of Engineers lake and very little development is allowed on the water. I think the setback is 100 yards. It makes for enjoyable paddling . Lots of docks on the water.

What is the 36" wave you speak of in a Pungo?

How does a skirt get entangled in yours legs?

Probably because it would be like you were swimming in an evening gown…lol

Yes but that’s not entanglement in my opinion.

1 Like

I know these don’t get much love on these forums since it’s not much of a fishing crowd, but I have a Mirage Passport 12 from Hobie (Mirage Passport 12 | Kayaks | Hobie) which I love. Big drawback is that it’s HEAVY, so it’s not the easiest to load on a car, especially at your height/weight.

But it is a ton of fun, you can pick up solid speed using your legs, and it’s great for relaxing since your hands are free to eat/drink/read/fish while using the pedals to get around.