Stuck Deciding between a Rec and Touring/Sea Yak

Paddledog52, I don’t blame your disbelief about the 145 Tsunami, but I assure you, I didn’t fabricate the log. If you read my posts about hull speed, it contradicts comments that I made about theory. The log entry I sent was not the 4.9 mph avg trip. I picked thecslecificventry because it shows what you later pointed out, that speed depends on factors like current, wind, and tide. I’m learning much more about your level of experience and I know whatever it is. You exceed mine. That’s the reason I included the data on wind. Air/water temp, tide H/L, wind and waves. It also had current info, but I can’t interpret it 10 yrs later.

Bay experience will verify a SE wind croses the course from near enough to not influence speed. Those wave heights past Carroll Pt are 12" and go to 18" at South end of Poole, then flatten somewhat in the deeper channel. The current in the channel is about 1.2 mph Nothing to fight if you pick a range. But will drift 1/4 mile if you don’t. That SE wind will drive you crazy on the passage back. On that passage, the trip back with an E wind @ 5-8 mph will put you in a dead air, because you don’t feel much breeze until it hits 4 mph. You sit in 1/2 inch of sweat. You wonder when your vest was washed last, the stretch from Ricketts Point to Battery Point is about 2 miles of churn from convergence and shallows and I start to wonder why I kayak. 2 liters of water is gone. That didn’t happen on this trip. Notice water temp of 60, air 72-80s. If you check posts under What are the Limits, and one on Prep for a trip. I mention my limit is 65 air/65 water, or if one spiked up. 60° water offset by 72° start with forecast of mid 80s. You also see that I do 15 minutes Prep prior to launch and a companion will be at the first point which is 1.11 miles. I try to catch them by Battery Point, 2 miles. If I’m trying to mislead lead you, I got more to lose than gain. It’s a very connected story. Which makes me a fantasy writer or a dangerous pathological liar. I do know the bay very intimately. If you look at a chart, you might be able to tell me if my assumptions about waves at certain points are influenced by the bottom. Any bay traveller’s in that area can confirm my observations.

The real question is how can a 145 Tsunami go thst fast for that long. Part of the question you actually suggested. That was a good trip. If I recall, iot was more than 21.6, which means I wentbinto the inlet.

PaddleDog52, I don’t know if you were asking me about a pungo in 36" waves. My impression of that is it would happen once . . . It isn’t in the genes.

By the way, I enjoy your approach to issues because you are intuitive. By the way, I directed two member to ask for your opinion of the Kalliste and what kind of cadence you use with your Ikelos. Also Weber if you tried a Corryhaven or some name like that from Weber. It’s 113 sq in blade.

215 corryvreckan on right. I can paddle low angle with a high angle paddle fairly easily. I can’t reverse the situation with a low angle paddle.

1 Like

With wind and current yes a pungo can do 20 miles at that speed it’s not a real measure of a hulls performance. It’s like a car doing the 1/4 mile ET down hill.

If you were were going against wind and current it would be say 2.5 but another falsehood.

I can pull a big blade slow to reduce energy loss or body abuse. I can’t pull a Kalliste for acceleration or top speed. High cadence is body abuse also.

Paddledog52, if that is response to me, my post and log was for a 145 tsunami. My first two trips on that course were in fact in Pungos. Speeds were lower, in 4.1 - 4.2 mph range on flat days. Rare recently on the bay. My first stage in judging wind is catpaws between the churn that happen around 10 mph. Then percent of white caps. Wave heights seem to depend on duration and free run the wind has and tide or river current, land obstruction and depth.

I swapped out my 140 Pungo for 145 Tsunami. Switched to the 175 Tsunami for higher speeds, which as you alluded to is hard to pin down. I think its faster, but more demanding due to weight and excessive wind outing, especially with SE wind in my favorite area. Tbe rudder slows it by about
.5 mph so I use it to recover. If the 175 is faster the physical effort negates that advantage over distance because of the effort. I get plumb wored out. It the one boat I don’t need. Too cumbersome to carry, transport, and paddle.

I paddle low angle and high with the same paddle. Didn’t know there are paddles for each.

You can paddle with a 2x4 but to optimize your energy paddles have different shapes.

Not sure I have enough energy to optimize.

1 Like

Time to sail then!

I would definitely go with the touring kayak. I have an old Tsunami 160 and that thing takes me everywhere and anywhere. It’s a bit big for me but I picked it up cheap while working at LL Bean i Maine a while back. I do miss my rec kayak but still, I go faster than my buddies in rec kayaks, I never worry about where I go or the conditions. I chose to keep the touring for just that reason. I had to get rid of a few because of limited space after moving. I feel so stable and secure especially with the added navigation with added rutter.

Rec kayak so limiting.

2 Likes

PaddleDog52: Re How a paddler can become entangled in an elongated spray skirt: My one experience with this was about 30 years ago. Immediately following a wet exit, the skirt somehow impaired my leg action for 10 or so alarming seconds until I managed to free from it. I don’t think I knew how the impairment occurred, and I have never tried to replicate the situation.
The Wilderness System website says the Pungo 12 cockpit is 57" long, and thus the skirt would protrude in front of the seated paddler about 38-40". That is long enough that one’s foot might get caught in the cupped “rand” at its longest distance from the waist. The Wilderness-Systems-TrueFit-Spray-Skirt, as depicted on Amazon, has a long release strap running aft on top of the skirt, which could become hooked over a leg after a wet exit. The Seals elongated skirts have a similar strap.
If one wants spray and/or rain protection when using a recreational kayak, I suggest splash pants or rain pants and a bailer.

57" cockpits shouldn’t have a skirt.

Nor should they ever need one. Pungos can handle enough rough water that if you think you don’t belong there, you are past needing to be on land.

You can chill in all but the most unforgiving sea kayaks. You can’t sea kayak in a rec kayak. I Tsumnami is halfway inbetween the a 145 or 165 with a skirt could be used for layed-back sea kayaking. But, consider just getting a relatively stable sea kayak. At your height and weight a Tempest 165 would be plenty big. A Zephyr 160 would also be a really good choice.

But, test at least get a Tsumani 145 over any Pungo.

1 Like

I think at 5’ 8" and 135 pounds the OP would swim in the higher volume Tsu 145, designed for huskier paddlers. The 165 is also for medium to large paddlers. Hard to see how either could suit his purposes.

Just starting my journey into kayaking it is becoming more evident to me that I really need to be realistic about the water I will paddle in. I have a list of rec boats in mind, with the Eddyline Skylark at the top. My plan is smaller lakes and rivers, no more than class II. But when I’m at my in laws in Michigan the great lake of it’s namesake state sure looks like fun!

That’s why so many of us have more than one boat. Or two, or three , or …

1 Like

I grew up 4 miles from Lake Michigan. Nothing feels more like home then sticking my feet in its waters.

1 Like