Stuck Deciding between a Rec and Touring/Sea Yak

I can definitely see that. Being the minimalist that I am, I’m trying to start with a boat that will work without too much compromise until I see if I really like kayaking and what types of water will draw me. Sea kayaks are cool but if I end up on class I rivers and smaller lakes, a shorter boat would serve me better…I think.

I haven’t messed with kayaks in quite awhile. I returned to my paddling roots with canoes years ago. I’m surprised no one has mentioned a crossover kayak, sure you’re sacrificing capabilities in both environments, but they do work in both. I paddled a Prijon Yukon years ago that could handle up to class 2 and was capable in big open water. I don’t know if they’re still made.

1 Like

I have a 15’ plastic touring kayak (Venture Easky LV) that I’ve often taken on twisty small local rivers and even on class 1 and 2 whitewater streams with fairly open rapids (the only drawback to the longer boat is quick turns in rock gardens). A 14’ or 15’ plastic boat with a 24" or less beam is pretty versatile in a range of waters and also competent and safe for open water like Lake Michigan if properly accessorized and if the paddler has the training and skills for that environment.

2 Likes