Stunning 31 lb kayak

Not for flat water.

Thatā€™s some serious miles!

Hmmm. Why not?
My Petrel Play works just fine on flatwater, which is where I paddle it half the time.

Granted the picture was not taken in flatwater.

4 Likes

Like the look of your lime green Petrel!!! I am still learning (and enjoying the process in) my lime green Sterling Progression. I am trying to avoid boat lust, given the 31 lbs of the Petrel compared to the 39 lbs of the Progression.

Last time I had a 30 lb kayak, was with my SOFs. But, I donā€™t trust them in surf and rock play, especially since I am largely out on my own.

sing

2 Likes

There arenā€™t that many good videos of the Petrel Play in the surf. This older dude uploaded some of the better ones (IMO). Maybe because he comes across as a clearly committed longboat surfer and really good with his S&G Petrel Play.

In this video, lots of fun but some carnage and cringe worthy moments in the surf zone:

Enjoy!

sing

2 Likes

Nice.
Was that a pump that came off (near end of video)?
Not a good item to lose (though he was able to recover it).

As has been mentioned in a previous post, bungees (alone) will not secure items.
I use them with olive cleats to secure the pump and spare paddle (and have been through much serious surf without losing items).

1 Like

Since I am usually alone, my pump is strapped to under the deck retainer. Canā€™t access it in the surf zone without opening up the sprayskirt (not doing it). If I need the pump, it means I am out of the boat and swimming. At that point, Iā€™ll pull the pump from cockpit.

I do like your idea of the olive cleat. Something to use on the rare occaisons that I am surfing or rockplaying with others. (I expect that I will go our a least a couple of times with the RICKA surf/rockplay contingent in the coming year.)

sing

Twist bungeeā€™s around the pump

1 Like