Stunning 31 lb kayak

2 Likes

When does yours arrive?

2 Likes

Tempting but I’d have to paddle one even in convention layup. Fits all size people although I dropped a good amount of weight which may open some doors. 40 lb hull would be nice for me with a heavier layup schedule.

Not sure I’d like a boat with a lot of rocker.

Good real sea kayak for someone looking for light hull to handle. I’m sure it will lighten you piggy bank also. I like the look better than a Sterling no offense to anyone.

1 Like

Well, that’s all very nice, but how much are the raffle tickets?

1 Like

Customers boat. High end kayaks are getting to be 6 grand.

1 Like

$6900 but who’s counting? :grin:

1 Like

If it makes a difference between paddling & not paddling (a quality, performance kayak), I’ll go for the light weight.
6900 + 520 for pretty (Red Reflections). (and this was 2019 - before inflation). (30lb)

For the past few years I’ve logged more miles paddling than car driven miles.

4 Likes

:+1::slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:nice

And :pizza::yum: used to be 15¢. I’d get two slices and a soda for .45 then have a nickel left for a candy bar.

SHE let me get away with an almost $3K boat. I think one of these might be really pushing my luck.

1 Like

Blame it on credit card fraud.

I’m impressed by that, more so than by whatever the boat is or how much it cost. When we lived in portaging distance from the water, I probably came close to roughly equal miles paddled and driven for most of the year.

Half of that $6900+ price is already wince-worthy to me, but if you’re paddling and loving it (and you don’t mind the cost too much), it is a good purchase! The thing with buying expensive items you like and keep using is this: the short-term sting of paying for it fades in the long run, while the accumulated gains from having it come to the forefront of your memory.

Enjoy.

6 Likes

It’s all about smiles per dollar.

4 Likes

They way I look at it, its worth it if you are going to put a few thousand miles on it.

1st boat, kevlar 32 lb 14 foot high volume lots of rocker, was $700 in 1974, $4122 in today’s money. https://www.aier.org/cost-of-living-calculator

2nd boat, $750 in 1975, is a 32 lb 14 foot fiberglass Clearwater Whitewater - fast flat water boat, $4047 today. Both are still going strong, the Clearwater has many thousands of miles on it so maybe 20 cents a mile. Neither have bulkheads.

3rd boat, a 42 lb Epic 18x and clearly superior to the '70s boats was $4200 including shipping and a new seat in 2019 with 1800 miles on it (still over $2 a mile but I’m working on it). That would be $4770 today.

1 Like

agree.
The chart is filtered since the 1st day I acquired the Petrel Play (not shown are the miles on the other kayaks for dates previous to that date)
(no longer have the 18X, I’m just not a fast paddler)

2 Likes

:scream::flushed: lots of hours paddling

“super high performance”

-has noticeable rocker

Interesting for open water but that thing is not “high performance” for flat.

1 Like

Performance can be gauged in many different ways.

3 Likes

Our own Dorsey - President of Florida Paddling Trails Association.
[https://www.floridapaddlingtrails.com/]

The first 5 boats on your list align with my interest! I wouldn’t know which to leave or take with me on most day trips, although I suspect I would have two preferences if surfing is big on the day’s itinery.

Regardless, you’re logging/posting some serious mileage. Kudos!

sing

2 Likes