stupid gps questions

I am new to the idea of gps, and I have what are probably very stupid questions, so thanks in advance for your help.

From what I’ve read, I’ll need to buy both a gps, and at least one of a variety of mapping software options. This part I get.

The part that I don’t understand is the idea of unlocking maps. If I buy Garmin City Navigator for example. I have to go online and unlock the software into my GPS. What if I can only fit part of the total maps, or I load maps, but later delete them. Can I go back with the same GPS unit repeatedly to load them again, or add different ones in the same DVD? Do I have to be online each time I want a different map segment after the first time I unlock it? I know that you can somehow only use the same software in 2 GPS units…but what if I get a new PC, or am using someone elses PC? Does that use up one of my licenses? Right now my PC does not have a DVD drive, which apparently I need, but just trying to figure all this out. thanks!

Navigator
takes up about 2 gigs on your hard drive. You will also want some of the free programs such as n-route. If you download and unlock the whole thing, then you just have to go back to the computer to reload. It takes up a lot of space on my old laptop so I am looking at getting an external hard drive to to plug in when I need it. I keep the discs with me when we are traveling with the trailer in case the computer crashes.

I Have Blue Chart
The way this package works is that you select a region to unlock and enter in the code that comes with the software. Once unlocked any charts within that region may be downloaded to the gps as many times as you like. But, the software also keys with your particular gps so it is only unlocked for your gps. The Garmin series, (and I am sure the others also), come with a base map which does not require any additional software to use.

Sometimes I think that the programmers spend more time and effort on the protection scheme than they do on the software, LOL.

Mark

Basics
A given GPS device, or the memory chip in it, is always linked to a particular computer. If Magellan, you get around this by having an SD card registered for each PC, say the desktop and another for the laptop that goes on vacation, and swap them out when you switch PC’s. With Garmin I think it is the entire device that is linked - don’t think you can swap out SD cards - but I may be wrong.

Both Magellan and Garmin require that you get an unlock code to be able to load maps. Garmin makes you go online incrementally and pay them money to get rights to add new maps. However, they have a lot of great maps for cities and inland areas including waterways.

With Magellan you go online and spend about an hour cursing the folks at Thales for their odd sense of web site structure, and after registering the same SD card and map CD a couple of times each you are done with the unlock code for all time unless you replace a PC and want to flatline and reuse the SD linked to it. You buy the maps separately for something like over $100, but for that price get full nav aid info and depth etc on all coastal waters for areas as large as North America. However, the Magellan related maps are pretty much limited to that. They don’t have all the inland waterway details etc that Garmin has.

This help? It used to be easier, by the way.

These replies helped me, thanks
I have a new reason to further procrastinate buying a Garmin 76. (I really hate dealing with these kinds of one-off software programs.)

I’m well into early spring now.

Cheers

Garmin
I have a Garmin Venture CX. I don’t think all maps have to go through this unlock deal, only blue charts and city nav. I just installed Inland Lakes U.S. And the only problem I had was the install kept looking for drive C, and when not found it would not complete the install. My hard drive does not have a C designation, like most people do. So it took a little more effort to install. Other than that, I think the GPS is great! I do think this unlock thing is kind of a silly way to do things. I allso think the maps cost a little on the high side. If the maps cost was more within reason,“say” $40.00 or $50.00 they would not have to worry so much about the protection scheme for the software.

With the garmin map-76
even though downloading maps is nice, you don’t need to.

The area that you are paddling in will be automatically mapped on one of the screens and will show all the navaids islands, etc.

You can zoom in or out to show wherever you are.

I’ll sit in the tent on a remote key in the Florida 10,000 Islands, and using a chart, take off the coordinates of where I want to go the next day, plug them into the GPS, and then enter in a route. No computer required.

cheers,

jackL

Not all use unlocks
City Navigator uses unlock codes, but Mapsource Topo doesn’t. If you plan on using your unit for paddling you’ll probably want Topo anyway as City Navigator doesn’t show most bodies of water.

Base map
The Garmin base map is very limited. You do need additional mapware. The Lowrance GO2 had a really nice base map but I could not keep it working. I gave up after the 3rd one. The higher line Lowrance units might be better.

Mr Jim dont be so worried
The part that I don’t understand is the idea of unlocking maps. If I buy Garmin City Navigator for example. I have to go online and unlock the software into my GPS.

dont think it works quite this way. Think of it similar to microsoft applications. The unlock just allows you to dump it on your computer. I use mapsource w/city nav, topo & us topo 24 k products. I believe previous poster was correct regarding the fact that “topo” doesnt need an unlock key, i think the others do.

What if I can only fit part of the total maps, or I load maps, but later delete them. Can I go back with the same GPS unit repeatedly to load them again, or add different ones in the same DVD? Do I have to be online each time I want a different map segment after the first time I unlock it?

what I did was the “full install” on both my laptop & desktop. The “full install” actually dumps all the map data onto your hard drive. Keep in mind on a Garmin unit you will select the map sections fom the mapsource software (citynav,topo) to download from your PC to the GPS unit itself. Once you download a set of maps onto your unit it will be there until you use the mapsource to dump a different set of maps on it. At which time the software will delete the old maps and replace them with the new ones you want.

I know that you can somehow only use the same software in 2 GPS units…but what if I get a new PC, or am using someone elses PC? Does that use up one of my licenses?

keep in mind you are NOT downloading map data from the internet. see above.

I have a 60C and have used garmin software products for many years, although the additional software (ie: citynav, topo, etc) are a bit pricey I wouldnt hesitate to do it all over again.

good luck in your indevour Mr Jim.

thanks
Thanks for the feedback! I am not very tech savy. Just got a Garmin Legend Cx. Like the track back feature, and the speed/distance. The base map does not have much detail at all, so thought it might be nice to expand. Have been weighing my options of Topos (better for hiking and kayaking) vs city navigator (which might let me use it more if I am lost while driving…which I unfortunately do way more than the first 2 activities!) My current computer only has a CD drive, and hardly any memory, but that is something I will be hopefully upgrading soon. Will probably wait for the new computer before getting software, as Celia reports the software is linked to the PC.