Suffering needlessly

I would love to try running that section upstream in a solo canoe. I can’t be sure but I think I could make it. One of my realities/risks is that I need solos with some lake capability to give me enough efficiency for upstream paddles but also some maneuverability so I have some ability to turn/control the boat in sections like that.

I could not run that upstream. But speaking of pushing through branches, a couple days ago I went over a submerged tree and under one of it’s large dead branches and when I ducked the branch the back floatation pad on my PFD just nicked the branch and I heard it crack and immediately wondered just how big of a chunk might come down on me. I got lucky and it was just the tip of the branch and not the whole branch.

You might want to get one of those chain suits the folks wear when diving with sharks to protect you when crashing through brush.

Cool to see you lining and portaging when needed and paddling with a partner in that current.

“I heard it crack and immediately wondered just how big of a chunk might come down on me”

Quite a few years ago now I was running a local river in my solo canoe that was always a solid Class IV, and at the water level we were at one rapid was generally considered Class V. This was at the upper end of my ability at the time, and my heart was pounding as we approached the gnarliest rapid. Most of the stretch was pool/drop, so I eddied out in some calmer water right above the drop to compose myself. I reached up and grabbed an overhanging branch to hold me still, and heard that fateful “crack”. I ended up with about 12’ of 4-5" log across my thighs, with both ends in the water. The pull of the water on the log pulled me out of the eddy, and down I headed into probably the hardest rapid I’d ever entered, with the log on my boat. I couldn’t really paddle, so I just hung on for the ride, praying the log didn’t hang up. I pinballed a little bit, but somehow I emerged upright at the bottom, still with the log. Too bad this was before everyone had cameras with them. I never ran it at that level again.

Yow! I bet that raised your blood pressure! Besides the obvious hazards we will shortly have another. Snakes like to hang on branches. Typically not poison, but can be very exciting in a boat.
And don’t use the chin strap if your hat has one. I almost got snatched out of my boat when a branch caught my hat.

Ah yes, chin straps. It was a windy early April day on the Boardman & I misjudged a bend and swept up against a downed tree on the outside. a branch caught my Tilly and I was laid back across the stern until the hat slid off. Fortunately, the boat stayed stable & once the hat was off I could brace into the tree and then work our way out. Finished by having a fine run through Bettiner Rapida - a near class II at that level. I’m glad Child Protective Services wasn’t around as I with my 6 year old daughter in a Sawyer Cruiser. I should have told her to switch sides & draw but blew the timing. You should note that this was no ordinary 6 year old but one who at that age could paddle better than many adults I have had in a canoe and understood draw strokes (reach out and pull the boat to your paddle) as well as forward & back strokes.

The next day we had a long but good day on the Little Muskegeon.

1 Like

That’s a great story. It sure sounds like a memorable experience.

That is exactly what happened to me. With my Tilley.

I’m a bit more careful with that chin strap now.

So am I. I don’t use it around brush. A hat is less valuable than a head.