Suggested kayak carrier for field & stream shadow caster

Hello, I am deciding which will work best for a carrier option for my Field & Stream Shadow Caster Fishing Kayak? 95lbs 12.3L X 35”W trip hull design.
I am thinking either Malone mega wing or Yakima Saddle Mounts any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Dan

95lbs? Does the kayak even care? Sounds like it’s built like a tank. If the pontoons of the tri-hull are all about the same depth what about some SUP foam block carriers or long surf pads on the bars.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Thank you Marshal, I need the holders/mounts due to also having my Wife’s attached to the other side of the roof on our Toyota Sequoia. Thanks for the reply,
Dan

Does the Sequoia have factory or aftermarket crossbars. At 35" beam each I don’t know if you’re going to fit both hull down without going to something like a Thule Probar 79" with Thule Aero Load Stops. Luckily the Sequoia is a wide wheelbase so it could be done with that bar length.

Considering hoisting two 95lb. kayaks the height of a Sequoia (this coming from someone that has had a few Landcruisers), do you have a small utility trailer handy?

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I was going to add in Yakima 78” HD cross bars. My wife’s kayak is smaller at about 60-65lbs. I can put hers on a J rail if needed. No trailer I toyed with the idea but would rather not have to pull a trailer if avoidable. I wanted a kayak I could stand and fish in hence the beast I purchased :slight_smile: just curious about the cradles and what other would suggest for hull down mounting.
Thanks again for your replies
Dan

What did you end up going with? Im trying to decide what to do with my shadowcaster. Trying to mount it on (pads, megawing, j cradle that holds 95 lbs…) with my wifes smaller kayak in a j cradle next to it on our forester. Not sure how the megawing will work with the shadowcasters flatter hull, and nervous to use a j cradle with the weight.

I actually sold it awaiting a Hobie Pro Angler and I will use a trailer due to weight

2 Likes