Suggestion for BWCA in Mid Sept?

Two aged but spunky brothers would like suggestions for good pike or walleye lakes no more than two portages in. We are going to set up base camp for a week. Thank you for your help!!

probably get more response
on BWCA.com. in mid september you’ll have lots of options for put ins and you’ll have the place pretty much to yourselves. i’ve been there in late sept/early oct but not doing much fishing, just travelling, so i’m not able to steer you to a fishing spot. weather could range from shirtsleeves to snow and always be prepared for wind. good luck. -h

ENTRY POINT 33
Maybe I would suggest entry point 33. That will get you into GABBRO LAKE. 200 rod portage and your there.

Lake Polly
We were camped on Polly one year and they were catching fish not far from our island campsite. We talked to the fisherman and they also had good luck on Malberg. To get to Polly use Kawishiwi lake entry off the Sawbill trail. We went in early September. No bugs, less people, warm days and cool nights. Polly is a good base camp lake. There are lots of other lakes close by to explore.

Ely or Grand Marais?
I know more lakes up the Gunflint, but which direction you going? WW

Base Camp walleye/NP Fishing

– Last Updated: Jul-19-09 8:40 AM EST –

It sounds like you want to keep the paddlin' in and back out milage and effort to a moderate level. With this in mind, my suggestion to you is to outfit and/or arrange for powerboat transport from Crane Lake into Lac La Croix, find a nice campsite on Lac La Croix, base out of it for a good week of fishing, and also arrange to be picked up for transport on the trip back to Crane Lake. Once you are in Lac La Croix there is lots of good walleye and northern pike fishing water to explore.