Suggestions and advice on buying a Greenland paddle?

@chicago_paddler
Thanks. I found this one in Lake Bluff through one of @rival51’s link. I will go check it out, probably this Wed.

For what it’s worth, I paddle a fiberglass and a poly boat and have used wood GPs for years. Wood immediately feels warmer in your hands and wood can be sanded to fit your hands exactly the way you want.

I have a wood working shop, so I built my own GP paddles. I made the shafts (looms) hollow and laminated strips for the blades out of various woods. They’re very nice to look at, but after trying them out once, or twice they just reside in their bags in my shop. The Euroes get to go paddling.

@magooch said:
I have a wood working shop, so I built my own GP paddles. I made the shafts (looms) hollow and laminated strips for the blades out of various woods. They’re very nice to look at, but after trying them out once, or twice they just reside in their bags in my shop. The Euroes get to go paddling.

I’m the opposite…I make my own Carbon Greenland Paddles and my Euro’s stay at home

Wow @roym . I wish I could borrow couple of the GPs from you to try them out.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know, euro paddles are faster, while GPs are good for roll.

Hey @roym, you have us worried. That photo is not kindling for your least loved kayak, I hope.

@Jie said:
… but as far as I know, euro paddles are faster, …

You just assume that because GPs look smaller ? You could be true in shallow water, but in deep water, 3 ft, not necessarily true.

@roym,

That’s insane. And I mean in a good way!!!

@Overstreet said:
You just assume that because GPs look smaller ? You could be true in shallow water, but in deep water, 3 ft, not necessarily true.

That’s what I heard. I could be wrong.

Not Kindling…just threw a few out for a picture…I have more.

I believe in the right hands and a size fitted to the paddler, a Greenland Paddle and Euro are close to equal in speed…A wing is a bit faster {in the right hands and right size}

roym, you are Bob’s alter ego with paddles.

@Jie said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know, euro paddles are faster…

Not true so long as your Greenland technique is good. There is a technique difference between the two as Greg Stamer (founder and past president of Qajaq USA) explains here: http://www.qajaqusa.org/Technique/Strokes.html

After lots of practice, I can easily cruise around 4 mph with my GP - but I still don’t have the same confidence in my stick that I have in my Euro in dicey conditions where I need power (especially bracing) for lack of practice.

BTW, you live in an area rich with great instruction and sea kayaking organizations. Are you a member of CASKA? http://www.caska.org/about.html

@Rookie said:
BTW, you live in an area rich with great instruction and sea kayaking organizations. Are you a member of CASKA? http://www.caska.org/about.html

Yes, I am a member of CASKA. Good idea. I will contact them. Thanks.

Jie,
You got a lot of advice but I am surprised not one comment about why you think a GP is needed for learning to roll.
What is your reasoning?

@Jie said:
I want to buy a Greenland paddle for learning kayak roll. I saw there are wood ones and carbon fiber ones (see the link below, for example). Any advises on their pros and cons? And any suggestions on where to buy? I live in Chicago area, and am not sure if there are any stores here. Maybe I have to buy online. Thanks,

https://www.ebay.com/i/253352851654?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I’d suggest cutting up an 8 foot 2X4, lots of instructions on line and a few great videos, and try it out. I made a cedar laminated greenland for a solo canoe which I double paddle. I found I couldn’t generate the power to easily turn it, to prevent weathercocking, or to fight even a modest current. I appreciate you’re talking kayak which won’t have the windage and will likely have more tracking ability than a canoe but I’m with those who suggest try it before investing in a commercial product…

I have and enjoy a Malone GP. I am NOT a wizard or expert. My first tries with the Malone found me “tripping” over the immersed blade if I wasn’t careful. I had to learn to be more careful with the details of my stroke than I am with the euro paddles. There seems to be considerably more blade surface area, or at least “grab” with the GP.
Also, the symmetry of the front to back of the paddle took me a little getting-used-to.
This “getting-used-to” is a good reason not to spend top dollar on ones first try, in my opinion.
Just 2 cents worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7lR5E4Oi4

You don’t need a Greenland paddle in order to roll. I made this video many years ago and it’s not as crisp and clear as most are now…I was on dial up at the time and it took forever to download anything so I made it short and to the point. mounted the camera on the bow of my kayak {go=pro’s didn’t exist yet}

@JoMo said:
I have and enjoy a Malone GP. I am NOT a wizard or expert. My first tries with the Malone found me “tripping” over the immersed blade if I wasn’t careful. I had to learn to be more careful with the details of my stroke than I am with the euro paddles. There seems to be considerably more blade surface area, or at least “grab” with the GP.

This is not Greenland vs Euro…this is a particular paddle compared to another particular paddle. Both Greenland and Euro paddles come in many different sizes. And either style of paddle can be purchased to have the desired cadence, the desired reach and the desired power use.

If you live in the Chicago area it’s an easy drive to Madison and Rutabaga. They have all kinds of paddles in stock and once the water is warmer you can take boats and gear out for a test paddle. www.rutabaga.com