Suggestions and advice on buying a Greenland paddle?

I’ve had a cedar GP made by Bill at Lumpy Paddles for over two years. A beautifully crafted paddle that works marvelously. As others have noted, Bill is very careful to make the paddle for each person’s specific size, needs, etc. Very reasonably priced. I love this paddle.

1 Like

@rickd said:
I’ve had a cedar GP made by Bill at Lumpy Paddles for over two years. A beautifully crafted paddle that works marvelously. As others have noted, Bill is very careful to make the paddle for each person’s specific size, needs, etc. Very reasonably priced. I love this paddle.

Absolutely agree but alas, Bill has closed Lumpy Paddles and took down the website. I consider myself lucky to own a Lumpy.

@mikewskier said:
Jie,
You got a lot of advice but I am surprised not one comment about why you think a GP is needed for learning to roll.
What is your reasoning?

I’m not Jie, but my response to the question:
I use a GP and a Euro and consider it important roll with either because I could be using either upon capsize. I only have a Pawlata roll at this point. In learning this roll, I did not notice a real difference in either paddle style. However, I am not using the paddle for much, if any, leverage.

I purchased a custom made paddle for a guy (MA) who was recommended to me. He thoroughly went through all of the dimensions and how to size. I am very pleased with it.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SCMKayaks?utm_source=transactional&%3Butm_medium=trans_email&%3Butm_campaign=convo_html&campaign_label=convo_notifications&utm_campaign=convo_notifications_010170_10683759063_0_0&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&email_sent=1435274478&euid=M4qDWiDEm5mnntI9AsGwXHQ1C7mA&eaid=26839649245&x_eaid=ac01ae7748

T and J paddles at tandjpaddles.com has made several paddles for me. We exchanged a few emails over what I wanted in my paddle, and he he had it ready to ship within 10 days. My last one was an Aleut two piece paddle, and i haven’t used a better one yet.

1 Like

@mikewskier said:
Jie,
You got a lot of advice but I am surprised not one comment about why you think a GP is needed for learning to roll.
What is your reasoning?
I thought GP is relatively easier for roll for beginners, probably due to the people or video I saw. Meanwhile, I believe that for experts, they will not make much differences. Experts can roll with either one easily. But for some sculling, e.g. face down sculling, is GP easier? Another reason I want to have a GP is I want to try it and see if I will like it better or not.

@stevebaker said:
If you live in the Chicago area it’s an easy drive to Madison and Rutabaga. They have all kinds of paddles in stock and once the > water is warmer you can take boats and gear out for a test paddle. www.rutabaga.com
Thanks for the info. I will definitely go there. I just checked and it’s about 2 hours from my home.

And thanks all.

@Jie said:

I thought GP is relatively easier for roll for beginners, probably due to the people or video I saw. Meanwhile, I believe that for experts, they will not make much differences. Experts can roll with either one easily. But for some sculling, e.g. face down sculling, is GP easier? Another reason I want to have a GP is I want to try it and see if I will like it better or not.

My understanding, from what I’ve read, is that many people buy greenland style kayaks for their ease of rolling. I have no idea what style paddle is best for rolling, since I don’t roll.

Rutagaga doesn’t carry much in the way of Greenland Paddles. {might have one} They do however have a couple of instructors that use GP from time to time. You will find more to test with the Chicago paddling club.There were a couple of paddle makers at Canoeacopia but that is over until 2019.

If you really wish to learn, consider a Q-USA Greenland camp
http://www.qajaqtc.com/

@Yanoer said:
My understanding, from what I’ve read, is that many people buy greenland style kayaks for their ease of rolling. I have no idea what style paddle is best for rolling, since I don’t roll.
I didn’t mean other people buy GPs for rolling. It’s just I am buying one for rolling and trying it out.

@roym said:
Rutagaga doesn’t carry much in the way of Greenland Paddles. {might have one} They do however have a couple of instructors that use GP from time to time. You will find more to test with the Chicago paddling club.There were a couple of paddle makers at Canoeacopia but that is over until 2019.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I really want to learn.

https://www.facebook.com/QajaqTC/
There is usually a Greenland paddle making class…you can make your own under the instruction of an excellent teacher.{I think Don Beal is going to be there again this year}

http://bealepaddles.com/ {Don’s page}
http://aluupaddles.com/ {Chuck is usually there too}

@Jie said:

@Overstreet said:
You just assume that because GPs look smaller ? You could be true in shallow water, but in deep water, 3 ft, not necessarily true.

That’s what I heard. I could be wrong.

You probably heard that correctly. But it was spoken incorrectly. Not all GPs are the same just as not all paddlers are the same. Specific performance varies with each individual and each paddle. For example my GP blades are 3.5 inches wide. They have more square inches than many Euro paddles. Yet my friends GP has only a 2.5" wide blade. Is his slower? Well generally cause he paddles at a more relaxed pace he likes to talk. He might go 20 miles but more relaxed.

I have been paddling GL for about 8 years. I have always made my own GL paddles, as even an inexpensive wooden one can cost more than $100. My first paddle, which I used for several years and still have, cost me exactly $3.98. I went to the local lumber yard and found the clearest, straightest-grained fir 8-foot 2X4 I could pull. There are lots of sites where you can find instructions on dimensions.

I agree with the people who say wood is warmer and more responsive. I was a white-water paddler for 30 years and only used wood paddles. I do not have a woodworking shop, but I do have a hand plane and a draw knife and occasionally borrow a friend’s 8-inch table-top table saw to make my laminated paddle. In the picture, the one on the left was made using all hand tools, and the one on the right I cut the laminations on a table saw.

@dweden@atlanticcoastalkayaker.com said:
I agree with the people who say wood is warmer and more responsive. I was a white-water paddler for 30 years and only used wood paddles. I do not have a woodworking shop, but I do have a hand plane and a draw knife and occasionally borrow a friend’s 8-inch table-top table saw to make my laminated paddle. In the picture, the one on the left was made using all hand tools, and the one on the right I cut the laminations on a table saw.

Nice work.

I haven’t noticed anyone posting this, so my apologies if it’s a duplicate. http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf
I also made my own GL paddles. I made three-all from the link and perhaps just got lucky with the dimensions but they are a perfect fit for me. I am still using them 7 years later and I never use my euro paddle.

@string said:

Nice work.
Yes, nice work.

@roym said:
https://www.facebook.com/QajaqTC/
There is usually a Greenland paddle making class…you can make your own under the instruction of an excellent teacher.{I think Don Beal is going to be there again this year}

Didn’t think about making one myself, but will check it out.

@Overstreet said:

You probably heard that correctly. But it was spoken incorrectly. Not all GPs are the same just as not all paddlers are the same. Specific performance varies with each individual and each paddle. For example my GP blades are 3.5 inches wide. They have more square inches than many Euro paddles. Yet my friends GP has only a 2.5" wide blade. Is his slower? Well generally cause he paddles at a more relaxed pace he likes to talk. He might go 20 miles but more relaxed.

I was just thinking if I would need one wider than 3.5", since I am able to hold up to at least 4" or even wider. However, based on your experience, seems 3.5" is wide enough. I don’t care too much about speed.

@JeffFlorida said:
I haven’t noticed anyone posting this, so my apologies if it’s a duplicate. http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf
I also made my own GL paddles. I made three-all from the link and perhaps just got lucky with the dimensions but they are a perfect fit for me. I am still using them 7 years later and I never use my euro paddle.

Thanks. I will check it out.