Suggestions for back bands

A nice way to go for many boats
Seen several set up like that. With the right shape they give good low support and a nice supporting curve for laybacks.

I’d consider doing it if it wasn’t so far to the bulkhead now that I moved the seat (far enough to allow laybacks in a QCC!)!

I’d really like to do that in the Pintail - after cutting out the seat - but Kim likes the seat OK for now and it’s her boat.

I understand this option.
But there is no way a fixed in place, non-adjustable foam back support can do all the things that an adjustable, ratcheting back band can do. Part of the difference is in how much support you want. I like the backband to be cinched in tight for most paddling. Probably comes from WW boating. But I also like to be able to relax the back band for periods when control is not such an issue and I want to be lazy. So for me easy adjustability is importnt. Obviously, YMMV. :slight_smile:

Backbands from
clcboats.com work great for me!

www.riverratkayaks.com

ratchet relocation
I have IR on three boats and on my per. touring took the ratchets off the back of the band and relocated them to the thigh braces , where the camlok straps were.Took a little time and had to order some extra plastic ratchet ‘tracks’ from IR but makes adjustment alot easier

No need to have it tight
The fact that you find it necessary to loosen it at times indicates you’ve discovered the problem with tight back bands; they’re uncomfortable. I’ve found that the best way to set up a sea kayak is to adjust the foot pegs/back band loose enough to allow your legs to be fully straighted comfortably. When you need extra support in rough conditions, it’s a simple matter to flex your foot forward and push on the foot pegs to bring your knees/thighs in contact with the knee/thigh braces.

It depends on the boat and paddler…
…and how much outfitting expertise the latter has. Almost anything can be made to work if you know how and are willing to make the necessary modifications to the boat and/or the back band. I’ve just found that setting up ratcheting back bands is more of a hassle in many boats than using web straps. While ratchets can make it faster to set up the back band initially, it’s basically a one-shot deal, so a minute or two saved amounts to very little in the overall scheme of things. I’ve seen enough rusted/corroded/encrusted ratchet buckles and cracked ratchet straps to draw the conclusion that straps are generally more durable.

To each, his own, but you won’t see ratchets in any of my boats.

Different Venues
Different requirements. I sit much looser in my touring boat than in my surf/ww boats. I want to be “locked in” with the latter. It’s not about comfort over the long paddle but immediate control, right here, right now, in a technically demanding situation.

sing

Absolutely
I agree with you completely, but the original post was not about whitewater or surfing, but a touring boat.

Sorry, Tend To Think of Dr. D…
only in context of white water.

With touring I definitey would not want a tight back band over a long haul paddle.

sing

NSI backband
I paddle a Current Designs Caribou, and found the original backband to be pure junk. I installed an NSI Whitewater band, and love it! I didn’t get the touring version because I did not want to give up being able to lay back over the back deck. The comfort level is phenomenal. I cannot speak for any other bands, and this one IS expensive, but I doubt you could go wrong with any of the NSIs.

pinching
a “good” back band can pinch,it all depends on whether it fits ok and if you’ve adjusted it right.

?
Good - pinch - if (big if)…

Uh, thanks for the tip (?) or whatever that was. Lost me.

I too have an NSI ww band, but I
wouldn’t get it again. It has the ratcheting adjustment on the sides and they very quickly rust on exposure to salt water.

Other than that the ww band is comfortable. The touring model is way too high for serious use.

and that’s why
I graduated with a C- from highschool.

Ok,I’ve been in some kayaks with good backbands but the nature of the back of the seat and my shape could result in pinching if the back band was too loose. Tightening it up helped. Some kayaks had cheap backbands and they were fine. There didn’t seem to be a correlation between cost/quality of the backband and pinching. Some seats, some backbands and some backs did it more than others.

Backband woes
Hi there everyone. I want to thank you all for your advice. I ordered an IR backband, have installed it and am thrilled. I can’t wait to get on the water and try it out.

As far as the pinching on the old band. It was a band that I picked up at the local paddling store that was very hard and wide with a large bump in the center. What was happening is my butt would get pinched between the backband and the seat bucket unless I adjusted it forward which would then be too far forward because of the large bump in the backband. Anyway, things are fine now, and thanks again for the advice.

For comfort & economy I keep going back
to A.L.I.C.E. back bands ;^)

Mick