Suggestions for trip to NC, SC, or VA

-- Last Updated: Mar-14-04 3:26 PM EST --

I would like to get out of the house for a couple of days. I live in Ohio and wanting to plan a trip for this coming week, something within an 8-10 hour drive.

I'm looking for a 50 or 60 mile trip (give or take) that I will be doing alone. I am especially looking for something very quiet with a calm flowing river and few people (if possible) that my Dagger and I can enjoy.

I have done the Saranac Lake chains, and last year the Potomac from Hancock down through Little Orleans. I was very pleased with the serenity of both of these trips.

I have heard the North and South Fork of The New River in the NW corner of NC has some calm waters. But I would try anything.

If any could provide me with a couple of suggestions I would appreciate it. Even Kentucky or Tennessee would be fine.

Please help me get out of the house!

I think I said this before, but the
N and S Forks of the New are not THAT calm. Easier at moderate water levels where the smaller ledges wash out. There are a few class 2s, and handling the low water bridges, many of which must be portaged, can be tricky.

Most experienced ww paddlers (not this one) tend to under-rate easy rapids, and this can result in bad experiences for advisees.

It’s still pretty cold up near Jefferson and Boone, so anyone paddling alone would have to be prepared for warming up after self-rescue. I would leave the upper New for later in the spring.

New River.
Don’t let anyone scare you off the NEW unless it’s during th middle of a big thunderstorm or the water is running high due to a lot of rain recently. It is very doable for a beginner to take a two or three day trip. yes, there are places you can flip. If you want to do a two day trip, i suggest putting in at New River tate park wagoner road access, and float to the same state park hwy 221 access, and camp there. then the next morning, go down to rivercamp usa, about a 4 or 5 hour trip on sunday morning. then drive back up to shatley springs and go to the best Inn in the mountains and have the meal of your life. There is one, and i mean ONE hard rapid in this stretch, but it is class II plus at most, with a left then hard right before you go up on a sloping rock. I have done it numerous times in a two man canoe. a one man boat will glide through it! If you don’t want to campground, riverside bank camping spots are numerous, just pull in and gather firewood. I do suggest you go in late may, june or july, beaucse it IS warmer, but also, the smallmouth bite better starting in late may in june! world class smallmouth bass fishin!

If you are tough
try the lumber river. Prettyist stretch of water you could ask for. Summer in the lumber is tough, hot,steamy,Bugs. (according to a ranger there is an alligator slide. no reports of pygmy sasquatch however…)

The Edisto

– Last Updated: May-05-04 1:33 PM EST –

is a beautiful river located in South Carolina. Calm, quiet, lots of wildlife, and lots of sandbars to camp on. The trip from Orangburg to Canady's is around 68 miles. From Canady's to 17A [Harts Bluff] is around 34 miles, another mile from 17A and you could take-out at my place. There are several places to put in and take out all along the way, the areas I've mention are the areas of the Edisto I'm familiar with, including from 17A to the ocean [Edisto Beach].
I am working on a milage map of the river and have it completed from Orangeburg to Jacksonburo [Highway 17]. My plans are to do the whole 300 and some miles.

The low water bridges can be annoying
if you aren’t used to them. I was able to duck under some, but if you have strong current, get off in plenty of time if you think you can’t get under a bridge. I agree that the rapids on the S. Fork of the New are not difficult, though if water is low, more little ledges are exposed, and more maneuvering is required. I did a 20 mile stretch above Index, and then wife and I ran tandem from above Wagoner to hwy 221. Above Index, a lot of possible campgrounds are private and might require prior arrangements.

How Did it Go?
Traumawave, just curious - what stream did you end up paddling?

For a multi-day trip, the Greenbrier in WV might have been my choice, but as you posted in March, it was a little too cold at that time, so I didn’t suggest it. Check out the Greebrier River Trail website and you’ll find maps, campsite locations, etc.

DE

I would have to agree.
The Greenbrier would be a great choice. It is a calm river, but still enough volume to give it a nice float speed. Much of the Greenbrier flows through the backcountry of WVa (though, those that live out there call it the back yard).There are no big rapids but the river from Fort Springs to Alderson does pick up a bit. I have paddled it with my rec. boat at 4ft. and below. Please dont let that deter you its easy. The Greenbier has many public camping areas so bedding down should not be hard. Have fun. See you on the river.