Suggestions of places to see...

on my trip out to Minn. Wisc. No.& So Dakota, also going through Ohio, Ill. and anywhere else on way from Ct. Been getting good paddling ideas, but want to make sure I go to the spots worth seeing and not missing spots that are the memory makers. Any ideas wilderness, cities, parks, musuems,any ideas to help me plan my routes. Like to experience nature and beautiful places. Still taking ideas for quiet water (lakes, ponds, marshes, rivers I can get back to area I start at ) as I will be paddling with my dog and camera! Thanks and keep those ideas coming.

Minneapolis, City of Lakes
Obviously lots of lakes in MN, but you can link together 5 lakes within the city of Minneapolis without portaging: Calhoun, Isles, Brownie, Cedar, and Harriet. Interesting city paddling. Great city views. Some really big old expensive homes set back from the lakes and views of the downtown skyline. Very close to good night life or coffee shops or restaurants (Hennepin and Lake Street) No motors, but sail boats on Harriet and Calhoun. Good fishing on some of them, Harriet especially (Walleye). Lots of parking, etc. Great people watching walking around the lake. Not a lot of people on the water at all, except windsurfers and sailboats on Harriet/Calhoun.

Any special areas to put in…
Just for the mapping purposes, a clue to put ins would make planning this different idea more helpful. Neat to think theres that much option in a large city. Thanks for the advice.

I like the Finger Lakes in New York.

– Last Updated: Jan-22-05 7:45 PM EST –

I have paddled Canandaigua Lake. would love to spend some more time in the region. The Erie Canal looked great too. Have fun!

Wisconsin Dells
It’s been a number of years, but I remember canoeing in the Wisconsin Dells area.

We stayed at a campground called Yogi Bear Jellystone Park (first one in US). There was a canoe rental on the premasis. Don’t remember if it was public access.

Don’t remember much about it, but maybe its something to check out?