Hi, I have a great YakMobile, but looking for a change. I know there have likely been other posts, but I have specific desires that maybe others have encountered. Thanks in advance for any advice. Here’s my situation:
I have a Ford Explorer SportTrack, truckish hybrid, with a locking cover on the bed. This has been an amazing paddler’s ride, can lock gear, can get to rough spots, but I want something less truck-like for daily use, but hopefully preserving the same advantages. Here are some things important to me:
- lockable cargo space is really important to me in daily life and paddling. I want to be able to put my laptop in a lockable space to go into dinner, or put my extra paddling gear, fishing rods, etc. in a lockable space when out on the river all day, parked in an isolated spot.
- Ideally, no longer want to drive a pick-up like ride, love them but looking for a change
- Ideally, don’t want a sedan either, like extra ground clearance and prefer a sportier, outdoorsy mini SUV-ish ride
- I like crossovers best like CRV, Tiguan, RAV4, FIT, but think it’s ironic that these sports vehicles leave extra gear exposed in a back hatch.
- I’m not an organized person who wants to grab specifcally what I need for the day and leave extra stuff at home, I ideally like to keep some gear in the car and go when ready.
- I don’t want to spend more than 35K on a new ride
- willing to go all out on accessories that may exist
So I probably can’t have my cake and eat it too. Perhaps the question should be more “how do you lock, hide gear in a more hatchback crossover type vehicle.” I started to think about the idea of a crossover SUV vehicle, where I always keep a little locking cargo box on top, but I can’t find a cargo box small and tidy enough for that in combination with yak(s)
Thanks for your patience with the long, detailed post. Thanks in advance for any advice,