suitable kayak?

hi guys,

This summer I am planning on going on a trip down the Mississippi river from Minneapolis area. I am trying to keep my costs down thus am hoping to use a kayak that I can borrow from someone. Would this be suitable for such a trip?

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation/otter.html

if the link doesnt work, it is a old town otter. It has footpegs etc. In general, my concern is that it might be hard to paddle for a long distance because not very streamlined. I know a touring kayak would be better but this is cheaper. would this be THAT BAD?

Ummm, gonna say
no.

Will the otter float and move with the current? Yes. Will it hold a little bit of gear? Sure. Can it be paddled relatively straight? For the most part, it can.

It is not a bad boat, but it is not designed for long trips or big rivers. It takes a lot more effort to plow through the water if you weight it down and there’s no way it’ll track like a 12 or 14 or 16 foot boat. That means a lot more work to cover the miles.

If you are doing 5 miles a day and can travel extremely light, you could probably survive a few days, but it’s not likely to be that much fun after a while.

I would recommend nothing shorter than a 12 footer. A 16 would be ideal. Look around at used boats maybe.

jim

canoe
would i be better off with a canoe? i would guess that it may be easier to find a suitable canoe but that the shipping cost on return would make it hard to bear.

There are a few trolls that live under
some of those Miss. river Bridges.

Be very careful of them as you pass by.

Cheers,

JackL

Canoe shipping
Something that I can help with!

Often times people who take long distance, one way motorcycle expeditions will simply sell the bike at the end of the trip either through a local Craigslist, internet forum or on consignment at a motorcycle store. I’ll bet that you can do somethng similar with the canoe or even donate it to a local children’s organization like Boy’s Club or the Scouts and take the tax write off.

Coffee used one to cross the Great
Lakes. Why not?

Nigel and Kristin Law did it in a canoe
check out their book ‘By Canoe’.

http://savannahcanoeandkayak.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCAK&Product_Code=ByCanoe&Category_Code=Art

will any type be ok
will any type canoe be ok? would i be better off with a certain type canoe or design? I have heard that certain canoes are not good for large rivers/long trips because they have elevated seating thus more tippy? do i need to worry about the design of the canoe like i was worried about the otter’s design?

this one?
http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/661103106.html

what about this guy? would he be ok for a long trip?

It sounds as though you know about
zilch on the subject of kayaks and paddling. You need to research a bunch more before trying something as ambitious as what you propose.

AAA men

– Last Updated: May-14-08 9:22 PM EST –

An undertaking of that difficulty should not be undertaken lightly.

Was this a joke??

no to stir up a controversy but…
this kind of trip can be done by relative beginners

I met a guy at Sweetwater (can’t remember his name) who bought a kayak at Barrier Island Kayaks, took a lesson from Lamar, and then paddled from Memphis back to Coastal NC.

He didn’t do it in an Old Town Otter, but he didn’t have a lot of experience when he started the trip.

And I believe Georgia_Kayaker didn’t have a lot of experience when he went on his first multi-day kayak trip either.

Need More Info…
(This summer I am planning on going on a trip down the Mississippi river from Minneapolis area.)

How far are you planning on paddling? One day, three days? To the State Line? All the way to the Gulf? HAVE YOU EVER PADDLED A KAYAK FOR MORE THAN ONE HOUR?

(I am trying to keep my costs down thus am hoping to use a kayak that I can borrow from someone.)

What advise does this someone have for you? The only person you know with a kayak has an Otter? Where have they paddled it? Do you know a more experienced paddler who has two more appropriate kayaks and will accompany you?

(Would this be suitable for such a trip?)

Again, how long of a trip? According to my maps - from the Pig’s Eye Regional Park in S/E St. Paul to the state line is about 150 miles! Maybe in an Otter with car support along and radio contact.

(In general, my concern is that it might be hard to paddle for a long distance because not very streamlined. I know a touring kayak would be better but this is cheaper. would this be THAT BAD?)

We really need more info.

If you are new to kayaking (as borrowing an Otter would suggest), paddling down the Mississippi for any length greater than two or three days would be more of a long term goal.

HOWEVER, everyone has a dream. Never say never! Human beings are very persistent and adaptable creatures. If you undertake this trip, in this boat, this year: be safe and plan well. Who knows what another is capable of. Just do lots of research and know what you are letting yourself in for.

My first kayak was a Nantucket…

– Last Updated: May-15-08 1:49 AM EST –

http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/661103106.html

I loved it and paddled the heck out of it on daytrips for four seasons. Much more reasonable choice than the Otter. I considered my Nantucket a learning boat as I taught myself kayaking (having moved over from canoing).

I would recommend buying the Nantucket or similar and stick to daytrips as you learn about kayaking and the different aspects of water. Big water, fast water, flat water, calm water, waves, wake, current, winds, etc., etc., etc.

Build up to anything as adventurous as what you imply in your original post: a one way - long distance - epic journey down the Mississippi!

Note that this post came second and that the post by me at the bottom of the thread was actually written first.

And why?

– Last Updated: May-15-08 9:44 AM EST –

Why have you decided to do this trip? Your apparent lack of familiarity with paddle boats makes it sound quite odd, unless it's something like a trip organized for a cause where participants get dollars pledged to them for doing the trip. This kind of thing always brings out people who are new to a given activity - a friend is trying to prepare for the walking component of a kinda-marathon this fall to support a coworker whose child has a particular disease.

If it is something like this, there is often support along the way.

If this is a personal goal about getting fit or some such, you should learn to paddle first. Going a long distance without knowing how to paddle properly can leave you with a long term relationship with your nearest physical therapist.

I bought my kayak simply for…
Kayak camping. I had never done it before!! I bought a kayak & a week or two later I packed up my gear & hit the rier for 3 days… Not that big of a deal. Pack up your normal “light hiking gear” get in & go. All the boat is, is a pack mule at that point.

That was 8 or more years ago & I have done quite afew trips sense then.

Paddle easy,

Coffee