Sundance Airalite

I am considering purchasing a Perception Sundance Airalte kayak. I like the features and have read about the toughness of the predecessor Polyethylene hull version, but noticed in the store that the display model aialite kayak has chips near the bow just from shipping and handling. I’m concerned how much damage would occur to that type of hull when used in a shallow stream noted for a rocky bottem and the occasional boulder-lined chute. Can anyone comment from their experiences with an airalite hull?

Same Question: Duralite/Airalite
I’m looking at a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 as a fishing boat; and a similar size (12 ft) Dagger 12.0 for my wife. I like the fact that Duralite/Airalite versions are lighter, but I’m concerned about the durability of both in the water, bumping rocks etc., and about how Duralite/Airalite takes to being tied down on the rack. Any help appreciated!

Durability Issues

– Last Updated: May-30-06 9:55 PM EST –

When it comes to durability, plain old rotomolded boats are going to hold up much better than duralite or airalite, especially against heavy impacts. Rotomolded plastic is also less-noticeable when there are scratches in it (uniform in color all the way through)

Unless you expect to be bumping into rocks at very high speeds, though, there shouldn't be any serious damage to worry about with any material. If you're in slow-moving water, I would base your decision more on how much you care about weight and aesthetics.

If it were me, I'd go with rotomolded plastic, but my back is still fit to lift the extra weight

As far as tying airalite/duralite boats down on racks, I work at an outfitter and we have a selection of airalite boats in our rental fleet that we tie down on our trailer all the time. We don't take any special precautions with them, and they hold up just as well as any of the other boats.