Surf Kayak info - where to start?

Next question @sing, Can you explain the difference of why you would use a ‘surf board style’ wave ski vs a ‘SOT kayak style’ surf kayak.

Is one better for a specific wave type? or surfing style? is one style better to learn on?

Specifically, I can get a good deal on these 2 boats at the moment - any thoughts on pros or cons of their respective styles?
https://www.wavemastersurf.com/products/moulded-wave-skis/roto/
http://www.infinitysurf.com/surf-crafts/wave-skis/stinger/

@MCImes said:
Next question @sing, Can you explain the difference of why you would use a ‘surf board style’ wave ski vs a ‘SOT kayak style’ surf kayak.

Is one better for a specific wave type? or surfing style? is one style better to learn on?

Specifically, I can get a good deal on these 2 boats at the moment - any thoughts on pros or cons of their respective styles?
https://www.wavemastersurf.com/products/moulded-wave-skis/roto/
http://www.infinitysurf.com/surf-crafts/wave-skis/stinger/

The big general difference between the Wavemaster and the Infinity is that the first is manufactured and the second is custom and hand shaped for each customer.

Specifically the Wavemaster manufactures a range of different models/sizes with adjustable feetrest pods to “fit” a range of different size and skilled surf paddlers. At their top end, Wavemaster actually produces a custom model. At the lower end – your link - Wavemaster is manufacturing a roto (plastic) model that is less expensive and also more “ding” resistant for beginners. The trade off is that plastic is a softer and heavier material. That translates into loss of down-the-line speed and also in the quickness or responsiveness to turning moves. In fact, Wavemaster suggest having foam injected into the roto model if you are need more stiffness and durability (from folding, I assume, on a re-entry move).

A roto surf specific model will still perform better than a non-specific surf design craft. I can attest that my roto Riot Boogie (surf kayak), out performed any of my ww boats in the surf. However, when I transitioned to the composite Mega Venom surf kayak, there was a very discernable reduction in weight and, more importantly, in the pure speed of the Venom in staying ahead and outrunning a diagonal peeling wave, and the quickness/responsiveness of the craft when I wanted to cut back towards the powerpocket.

If you are considering a manufactured surf craft, you may also want to consider the RTM Slide waveski (SeaDart’s first video link above). These too are also manufactured, with adjustable footpods, and three model sizes. It’s not full on foam and epoxy glass, but a mix of dense and softfoam and a hard plastic like bottom. I think it is comparable to the Bic Soft foam surf boards (targeted to newer surfers). The difference with the RTM Slide is that it is significantly lighter than the Wavemaster Roto. The RTM slide lists 21 lbs for the bigger model whereas Wavemaster does not give the weight of the roto waveski. I suspect that it has got to be about 30 lbs with the foam inside (that would be similar to the weight of ww kayak).

sing

I’ve been looking at waveskis since this conversation began, or I should say trying to look at. They seem almost impossible to find in the real world. I’ve searched on known models and come up completely empty, or I find one that was sold 7 years ago. The RTM Slide you mention doesnt appear to be sold in the US. I could only find a handful of any kind of waveski (or wave ski) listed for sale on all of craigslist. What the heck? I’m guessing they are out of my price range anyway if they are that hard to find. I probably dont need one anyway

@qajaqman said:
I’ve been looking at waveskis since this conversation began, or I should say trying to look at. They seem almost impossible to find in the real world. I’ve searched on known models and come up completely empty, or I find one that was sold 7 years ago. The RTM Slide you mention doesnt appear to be sold in the US. I could only find a handful of any kind of waveski (or wave ski) listed for sale on all of craigslist. What the heck? I’m guessing they are out of my price range anyway if they are that hard to find. I probably dont need one anyway

Are you talking used? They’ll show occasionally on craigslist. Have a better shot at checking with some of the makers themselves. Island Waveskis used to post used waveskis for sale on its website. But, since the revamp of the website, it’s has not been doing that. But, I suspect the shop at Cocoa beach probably still does consignment for used waveskis if you check. MacSki also sometimes post used skis as well.

The only active waveski site is in SeaDart’s area – San Diego. Here is the current listing of used waveskis.

http://www.sandiegowaveski.com/for-sale/

But, again, the waveskis in the US are generally custom made for a specific person (not enough of waveski base to warrant the mass manufacturers to ship over here?) Unless, you are around the same size, weight and skill level, it’s generally not good to buy used for the first ski or two. My first ski was a very light high performance ski. I spent a lot time getting rolling practice because it was too tippy for me to actually surf well with at that point in my surfing experience. My second ski was for a bigger person which I was able to modified by re-filling and re-shaping the footstrap area to fit my shorter leg length. After that, I spent a season learning to waveski (rather than rolling one). I enjoyed it enough on that 2nd used ski that I then I ordered by first custom waveski from Island Waveskis. The custom waveski then allowed me to further develop my surfing to another level.

sing

Evidently, Mega Surf Kayaks is now producing a waveski:

https://www.performancepaddlesports.com/product/sweet-kahuna/

For the listed price, I think I would just custom order one from Infinity Surf, MacSki or Island Waveski.

sing

I used to surf on a waveski both recreationally and also in a few competitions. You don’t want anything shorter than 2.7 metres unless you are young fit and surfing most days. My paddles were short ~1.8m with large blades with no offset. My shortest custom ski was 2.1m!

Plan for safety! Even though I was strapped on with the thigh straps and could readily roll, I still had a paddle leash. I started wearing a helmet (Gath) as well.