Surf Ski - Current Design Speedster - Over my head?

It’s a GoPro 12 mounted using a suction cup. I also tie a small pool noodle so it won’t sink. I have dropped my GoPro in large bay and sound but always able to find it again.

1 Like

V8 Pro is 19’ long and 20” width. I would love to demo this one day

1 Like

Close to some kayaks.

It is possible you are indeed in a boat “over your head”, but it may still be worth pursuing.
First of all, the Speedster was a failed design and it didn’t last long on the marketplace.
Simply put, it was unnecessarily tippy given it’s category.
When it first came out I tried it because I was looking for a new surfski. Wow, was it tippy!
And it is worth noting that I also raced and coached flatwater sprint kayak.
There was a rumor around that Barton had used an older sprint kayak design called the Orion as the hull design, and that’s what it felt like.
So, for a flatwater oriented kayak, if you stick with it there will eventually be a good reward. Reward as in it can be fun to glide fast, and there will be a time when a sea kayak - any sea kayak - will feel remarkably stable (during sea kayak expeditions I don’t keep my knees in the thigh hooks but sit with legs slightly bent but together, like a surfski or sprint kayak - at the end of the day standing up is much easier!).
The limitation of the Speedster is that is close in stability to current elite level surfskis like the Epic V12, but doesn’t have the rough water or surfing capabilities.

Some hints about the learning curve.
Most stability will be like a bicycle, momentum is your friend. And yet, if one is new to a bicycle and the first thing they’re taught is a track stand, although very difficult to learn first it also has long term benefits. For the junior racers getting out of a trainer kayak and into a full sprint kayak for the first time, I would have them hand paddle. Both alternating hands (crawl/freestyle swimming), and then both hands (think butterfly in swim).
Adding in a paddle, I strongly advise against the suggestion for using a long paddle and low angle stroke. That will teach a muscle memory that will inhibit long term learning and using the paddle as a crutch. The first few times using a paddle will likely involve high tempo splashing, but that’s OK. Start throwing in a pause every few strokes.
Once you can pause, even momentarily, you are learning to stay balance in a gliding kayak without abusing the paddle.
Now it is time to start using your body correctly. Hold the paddle horizontally in front of your body and then push firmly on one leg until the leg is as straight as possible (the old school “hump” under the legs in the Speedster will be the limiter). This leg drive needs to make your entire torso twist from hips to shoulders (race kayaks have slippery seats for a reason!) until your paddle is held dangling completely over the water. Now push hard on the other foot to twist to the other side. Once you have this motion down, now you’re ready to paddle. Of high value is that when this entire body motion is employed you will gain the stability needed - every forward stroke becomes a phenomenal brace stroke as you are truly and firmly connected from the paddle blade through your entire body into the driving foot that stabilizes and drives the kayak.

Extra credit - once you feel like you are truly getting the full body swing going, paddle on one side only as if a canoe. Pause at the release with hand high, then twist only the body to get to the next catch.

If you have a sea kayak there will come a day when you can sit on the aft coaming with your feet on the kayak seat, and paddle. Your friends will be amazed!

2 Likes

And always keep your nose over the center of the boat.

1 Like

Thank you for the excellent advice otterslide!
I have not tried it since I made the video of the maiden voyage. I don’t want to waste my time for this unnecessary challenge.

Water is still warm :laughing:

1 Like