Surf Ski - Current Design Speedster - Over my head?

I just picked up a Current Design Speedster Surfski. Its 20’ long, 18" width, and 27lbs light. The narrowest kayak I used was the Necky Chatham sea kayak at 20" width which felt tippy initially but I got used to it very quickly and enjoyed it a lot.

Never been in a surf ski. I bought a leg leash and a paddle leash. I think I am way over my head to jump into an “elite race” type surf ski. Many online articles say start with stable surf ski like Epic V7 and V10 to start. I don’t plan to do anything adventurous. Just right at shore to practice around at first!

Any recommendations to help with the learning curve just to be stable? Taking it out tomorrow morning for its maiden run!

Loose hips and have fun! Nice boat.

You will be entertained! Enjoy!

Looking forward to an occasional progress report!

It’s the first surfski I ever sat in. I reached out my arm or something and was in the water before I knew I was off balance. I tried it that day and just one other when I had the opportunity. Those 2 quick goes were spent balancing and I wasn’t tuned in enough to power up my stroke. It would be fun to try it again. The owner was an Epic dealer. He told me it required pretty skilled balance to manage that one. Some time later I talked to him at an event where he had Epic demos. He said he had one that he wanted me to paddle. The V8 Pro had just come out. I asked how much swimming I needed to prepare for. He said “You won’t have a problem.”, and there was some chop out there. He was right. Stable like a narrow sea kayak.
Right now I’ve been working on getting comfortable in an Epic V10. My approach is very short paddles several times a week. I feel like I’m making some progress. I’m able to put power in my stroke, but still catch a hip dropping occassionally in the chop. And as I get more comfortable and relaxed, I’ll relax my attention to balance too much.
It does make me wonder how the Speedster would feel now? Good luck and have fun!

Post videos and bring towels. :laughing: The narrower you get the more every fraction of an inch counts. You just lobbed 2" off :scream: :flushed:. The bottom is VERY round to be fast. I believe it’s more tippy than an older Epic V-10 which is more tippy than the new ones.

Being a CD fan boy I considered one years ago. There was one for sale it was red locally slightly damaged. I did see the one you bought but heading for 72 soon I passed :joy:. I did just buy a new Kawasaki ZX10R but won’t get wet if I fall off. Probably just get dead :joy: . NOT aging gracefully but may stop aging altogether.

Good luck it’s warm out now so have at it. They sold them, people paddled them so you can too. If you get going keep going, doubt you’ll be stopping to chat much on a group paddles.:joy:

There just to be a surf ski group located in NYC a while back. Might be good to hook-up with a group like that.

Enjoy and good luck . Relax it takes time then hammer down! Be safe pick your location to practice.

Paddle you’re going to use is?

1 Like

Should have ask for a one month test paddle. :laughing:

I have videos of my maiden voyage and it was MISERABLE. I have never been on any surf ski.
This is going to take a VERY long time to get used to if ever. I was able to get it moving at a very cautious speed but did not dare to get more then 20ft from shore where I can just stand back up.

I listed it for sale already! I don’t have the time to invest to learn this when it looks like I am miles to years to get proficient on it.

First time on a Surfski, an ELITE surfski! (youtube.com)

There, putting myself out there to be laughed at.

4 Likes

Nothing to laugh at, that’s for sure.

One trick I learned to get into very narrow kayaks is to get it floating in about 8" of water and turn the paddle edge wise to touch the bottom. Lean slightly toward the submerged blade so the rocking back and forth is eliminated. Leaning a bit of weight on that blade the whole time you can then get both feet into the cockpit and and have none of that rocking back and forth before you start your forward strokes.

Well you gave it a shot you just need more ammo to keep shooting.

2 Likes

You can easily remove the wings.

That wing is a great idea for stability! For now, I already put it back for sale. If I try again, it’ll have to be something like an Epic V7 or V8 Pro.

Back to sea kayaking for now!

1 Like

Heck, I use that technique to get into my Necky Tesla, which is an expedition ‘yak. The cockpit is pretty short and my knees just don’t bend like they used to.

Yes I see the point. I have a Necky Chatham17 (21.5" beam) an Eddyline Fathom (22" beam) and a Perception Sea Lion Shadow (24" beam) and in the past I had an older P&H kayak with a 19.75" beam and I use that technique getting into them all just because it’s a good way to learn and even when not needed it doesn’t hurt to use it.

One other tip I have learned is that using a low angle stroke with a longer paddle in a very narrow kayak is a lot easier to do then a high angle stroke, and as you learn to keep your balance you can go to a high angle still using it at low angle, and then a high angle stroke with that high angle paddle. Kinda like crawling before you walk and walking before you run.

OK. Having paddled one myself, I laughed pretty hard. But I was laughing with you - shared experience. I did manage to keep it moving forward, but it was all arm strokes and bracing. Thanks for sharing that.

Been there, sold my first ski and have a more forgiving one. It’s for sale. At 75 I have no desire to work it out.

Just caught up to this thread. The difference between a 20" wide boat and an 18" wide boat is an order of magnitude more difficult and I think that is lost on many people. One tip to anyone considering moving up to an elite kayak ski is to use your legs as outriggers. Just stick them over the sides and sit there until you become comfortable. Yes, it might take several outings just sitting there with your legs hanging in the water. When comfortable with that, then bring them back into the boat and put your feet on the footrest. It takes time and dedication to develop the required balance skills. Homemade wobble boards are also a great way to work on balance indoors.

2 Likes

Can’t offer any input on paddling but what camera did you use? It did a great job keeping the video horizontal, and waterproof too - I want one!

Just my personal opinion but neither of those to me is not really a surf ski. I think you need to be 20" or less and 19’+++