Surf skin vs neoprene hood?

This is my first winter paddling. I have my gear and my gang and my safety limits. What I need is a hood. Is the Kokatat surf skin as warm as a neoprene hood? It seems more versatile and looks more comfortable, but I also want to make sure I’m warm!
Tia!

I use the surfskin Kokatat balaclava it’s plenty warm. Keeps my hair dry unless I was scuba diving a while. More extreme conditions like 32°F and 20+ mph winds I do pull up my drysuit hood.

1 Like

Surfskin far more comfortable, wind proof and thin enough to fit under a sun hat/cap. Packs small enough to fit in the sleeve pocket of my Drysuit.

I even know if a supply of them. :grin:
Headwear/Handwear

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

1 Like

No. That material is like .5 mm thick. It’s good for some wind and spray protection. But, if you expect or concerned about immersion, you’ll need something thicker. A 2 mm neo hood will be warmer and still feel as comfortable as the surf skin (provided you have the right fit). I am still surfing in with a 2 mm surf hood right now and find it fine with air temps in the 40s and water temp around 50. My hood has a velcro chin strap which can be adjusted for comfort. If more thermal protection is needed, you can get the full hood with integrated neck gaiter. This type would have a pull cord that runs around the face opening. Pulling it tight will minimize water intrusion. However, if you were just paddling around, you could keep it loose and tighten only if you expect or are in the water.

For better winter immersion protection, I would go up to a minimum of 3 mm neo.

sing

1 Like

Also good points. Water below 50°F I usually wear it unless it’s very calm. Even used it few times blowing snow on windy days.

Usually pull it off my mouth and it stays. Really cold and windy it’s nice over your mouth. My head’s not under water that long so for me it’s warm enough.

1 Like

Thanks all, these perspectives are really helpful. I’m in Canada, so unfortunately can’t shop with you @Marshall, but given the scarcity of neoprene here at the moment (would have to wait until end of Dec or even early next year), I may go with the surf skin for now, then upgrade if & when I need to.
I’m just starting out surfing and in Lake Ontario, so our surfing days are almost finished (according to people who know better than I do, locally!). I’d want this for accidental immersion and general paddling for now (but who knows where this will take me!!).

Just one comment on hood versus hat, if that is also a question. Convenience really.

I rarely paddle w/o a hood in Maine or locally in chillier weather, because I can wear it around my neck and just pull it up if the weather changes on me. For a hat, normally I have to stash the thing somewhere and pull it out of there to put it on. I am too lazy to sort out where to keep it and don’t notice a hood around my neck.

1 Like

You want to protect the nape of your neck from cold shock.

1 Like

If you’ve got a local source, nab the Surfskin while supplies last. If not, mail to Canada still works.

1 Like

Thanks @Marshall! I haven’t seen the balaclava anywhere, but the one with the bill and the cap are around. I like the bill idea because I wear glasses and I need to keep the snow off!
@Celia good call on being able to push off a hood!
@PaddleDog52 yes, nape of the neck is important. I think the bill cap does that a bit. Though I think I would prefer the balaclava style. Thanks for pointing it out!

1 Like

Kokatat balaclava on eBay 48 bucks

Need small head :scream:

1 Like

What I like about my surfskin hood is it’s thin, light, comfortable & packs small. No reason not to carry it. The rubberized outer surface cuts wind. I like that on gloves too. Even thick neo will lose heat from evaporative cooling in wind.
It covers the neck & ears for warmth, but you can still hear OK. I love it for shoulder season. My buddy will double it up over a neo hood in icy conditions. We sometimes practice rolling and rescues in cold water. For that you’ll want 3 mil neo (if not 5 mil).
For just plain touring with no intended swimming it’s great, esp for rain, wind & snow. Way warmer than a hat &/or hood, but bring that too. For such a small piece of kit it gives plenty of bang for the buck. you won’t be sorry you have it. Wish I could say that about more of the crap I carry!

2 Likes

I won’t leave the house in winter without my Kokatat surf skin for paddling or mountaineering. I have paddled in single digit temps with a Pearl Izumi cycling skull cap under the surf skin (great way to layer) and been perfectly comfortable. And you can pull the surf skin over your mouth and nose so when breathing in and out your not breathing in cold air and exhaling your warm breath into the area around your neck and head. I hate neoprene for anything but surfing and diving.

1 Like

It sounds like I really lucked out with the stores here being out of neoprene hoods but still having surfskins in stock!! Thanks everyone!! I’ll definitely be looking forward to trying out the surfskin cap when it arrives!

1 Like

I own both–A surfskin equivalent and a 3mm neoprene diver’s hood. The surfskin is way more comfortable, superb weather protection, and probably sufficient immersion protection down to water temps in 40’s to 50’s F. However, winter water temps in the Chesapeake, where I paddle a lot, run in the low to mid 30’s F (much colder than the ocean temps off DE/MD/VA). For winter paddles on the Chesapeake, especially if in a very small group or good distance off the shore, I wear the neoprene hood.

1 Like