Surf's Up - Early Hurricane Earl Swells Showing

Decent tropical swells beginning to show - 3.5-4’ with 10-11 second intervals. Got more zip in these waves than I have experienced all summer. Too lackadaisical on the paddle out. Just when i thought I was on the outside, got flipped a$$ over head on a bigger incoming set. Blew my roll and had to swim back in the break zone. Better now, while the water is still warm.

Going back for AM session tomorrow. Swells are still building.

Mahalo!

sing

2 Likes

We have real live post-hurricane event going on ( really hot and humid for San Diego). I went out yesterday when the swell was supposed to be building but not too big, really wasn’t very good with confused waves about 2-3ft. Rain hit today, so I decided not to go out again, and looked on the web cam and there were beautiful 5’ to 6’ rollers held up by off shore wind. Four hours later and the wind has shifted again and it’s onshore mess . We had hurricane surf about 18 years ago that was amazing, but not this time. Supposed to clean up by Sunday, so I’ll probably go out again. Usually the crowds have left by labor day, but there were tons of 20 somethings on short boards wearing full wet suits in 75 F water trying to catch 3’ mush. Hopefully they will disappear by real winter surf time.

Enjoy the fun Sing !

I think this is the steepest jump in wave height I’ve ever seen on the CDIP buoys 3 ft to 13 ft in about a half hour.

WOW!

Just wow.

Pretty amazing. Imagine what can happen to an unsuspecting paddler or beach walker on some rock outcropping…

sing

I was thinking that I might get my sea kayak out on the bay this weekend, but I decided to wait until things calm down a little. Back to what I know - Fife Brook - tomorrow.

1 Like

More good waves this morning. 4.5’ plus at 11 seconds with a gentle off shore wind to help stack up the waves.

Had some great rides but paid the price for these. My “combat rolling” has gone to heck with a summer of flatwater paddling. A vicious cycle where technique was iffy; confidence wavered; the roll was rushed and blown. Took a couple of good thrashing in the break zone. :dizzy_face:

Ok. Still thankful for good waves and the opportunity to fix the combat roll a bit before winter surf season.

Mahalo!

sing

Really fun glassy swells rolling in on a calm morning here in Charleston, SC. Warm and humid, and I practiced lots of rolls - got everything feeling super slick and effortless on both sides. No accidental capsizes this morning to put the roll to the real test though. But loads of fun surfing the Sisu.

1 Like

I was out in the waveski. Thought of the Sterling but decided against it. Got kicked off the beach the last two times by “Ranger Rick.” Hopefully, won’t be as much problem with Labor Day gone.

sing

2 Likes

You’re progressing fast with the SK!

Camera got knocked off angle for a bit here and there. But, some footage to be had and edited.

Mahalo!

sing

3 Likes

Swells up to head high (6’ plus @ 11/12 seconds) this AM. Headed down to the Cape… but only to see granddaughters. :slight_smile:

For those going out on the east facing breaks of New England, have fun and be safe!!! Those swells have some energy to them. :zap: :zap: :zap:

sing

Mendocino, CA yesterday. The SouthWest swell is normally the secondary swell out here (NW being primary), but yesterday the SW was the larger swell. Only about 4’ at 10-11 seconds as reported, but there seemed to be a couple of different SW swells and they would sometimes stack together and give us bigger sets.

3 Likes

Nice sets! Reminds me of the time Chuck took me out under the Golden Bridge from Saulsalito and out around the Marin Headlands. Paddling through some pretty big long period swells in the 13 second range. 10-12 seconds is long for us.

sing

Looks fun, and no crowds.

I think our “summer folks” clear out much quicker than yours in SD. Water here is still in the high 60s. Warm for us but cold for y’all down there. Still, the casual beach goers are pretty much gone, especially given that lifeguards are no longer patrolling DCR beaches.

Been wearing hydroskin pants and neo vest, or 2 mm farmer john. Switching over to the 2 MM or 3/2 full wetsuit soon.

sing

As I said about “unsuspecting beach walkers” on rocks and jetties…

She lucked out.

sing