Surf's up!

A bit breezy out there. A good day to stay off the water.

Dominant wave period of 3 second… Hmm… I think my waveski would span the crest of two waves!!! Kind of hard to “surf” that. Think it’s best to say, “sea’s up!!!” :o

Always had respect for old P-Net member, Kwikle, who surfed that stuff. Need serious surf addiction to do that. :smiley:

sing

@sing said:

Always had respect for old P-Net member, Kwikle, who surfed that stuff. Need serious surf addiction to do that. :smiley:

sing

Am betting Keith will be out there later today (if he hasn’t gone to RI). Waves in his area are 5.6 with a five second period. A warm-up for his Gales Storm Gathering: http://www.galesstormgathering.com/

6.6ft @ 3 seconds in insanely steep! I dont even know if that is feasible to stack water that steep!

5-6 ft at about 7-9 seconds is ideal surfski interval. 6 ft at <7 seconds is so steep you’ll constantly be going through waves, not over them. Bad times on the lake today :neutral:

@MCImes

Just checked buoy 45022 again. Now reporting waves of 9.2 ft, at three seconds. Wind 29.2 kt, gusts to 38.9. That buoy is inside the bay and I can easily see it when I paddle.

The trimaran Arete left Chicago this morning in an attempt to set a new record to Mackinac Island. Still sailing. Gutsy.

:o I didn’t like 2ft and 3seconds.

@Rookie said:

@sing said:

sing

Am betting Keith will be out there later today (if he hasn’t gone to RI). Waves in his area are 5.6 with a five second period. A warm-up for his Gales Storm Gathering: http://www.galesstormgathering.com/

Good to know that another p-net oldie (tho way younger than seadart and me) is still plugging along, especially in the surf kayak/waveski realm. :slight_smile:

sing

10 footers coming here tomorrow! Woohoo!!! I wont be in them because nobody I know except me is foolish enough anymore and I’m not foolish enough to do it alone. But I may go play in a protected spot with the 3s 4s and 5s.

I dont recall ever seeing such a short period (3 seconds) on western Lake Superior before. Is it really shallow where that Michigan buoy is, or what? I noticed the buoy can’t spell “dominant” so maybe it can’t count either? Usually we’re in the 5-6 second range, which is plenty short.

Keith posts surf adventures regularly on Face Book … although mostly posts about alternative music and English football. Still trying to visualize 9 ft at 3 seconds, I guess I have done that on the Colorado River.

@qajaqman said:

Is it really shallow where that Michigan buoy is, or what? I noticed the buoy can’t spell “dominant” so maybe it can’t count either? Usually we’re in the 5-6 second range, which is plenty short.

Bay depth is about 187-190 feet where that buoy is placed. 45022 is owned and operated by the University of Michigan. Could be whoever designed the USCG app, which is the source of the image, goofed on the spelling. Current DPD is four seconds (I wonder why NOAA uses “DPD” instead of DWP for dominant wave period). https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45022

Have a good play time tomorrow!

wind building…waves to 3.6 feet at 5 seconds now. water temp has plummeted to 54. Looks like drysuit season has arrived.

@SeaDart said:
Keith posts surf adventures regularly on Face Book … although mostly posts about alternative music and English football. Still trying to visualize 9 ft at 3 seconds, I guess I have done that on the Colorado River.

Cool that he is still get his endorphin/adrenaline infusions. What is facebook? :wink:

sing
Ole dude with no social media footprint

Signing (Off) the Tsunami Rider

That Dominant Period of Dunk,
depends on personal dare,
dove in pooled destruction
deriving paddler’s deduction,
“A life sentence I’ve Derived Per Death’s stare!”

DPD
leads to SOS,
rollercoaster hittin’ bottom,
in the trough of deep distress.

8.2 feet, 7 seconds> @Rookie said:

Have a good play time tomorrow!

Unfortunately the wind was more north than I hoped, and there was no protection anywhere from 30 knot gusts blowing directly away from my launch. If it had been more easterly I would have had windbreak protection if and when I needed it. :’( The waves were huge and its probably smart I didnt go out alone.

Better to be on shore, wishing you were out on the water, than out on the water, wishing you were on shore.

Yikes! In my book, eight foot waves are best watched from a cozy spot onshore.

Very different than what we see here in NorCal. 6 foot at 6-7 seconds is probably our norm.

If 5 feet or under, we consider it flat and many of the boardy surf spots aren’t going off. Most places people paddle or surf on the coast are somewhat protected, so the waves come it as much smaller than what buoys read. Our period never really drops below the 6 seconds.

8 feet+ or 9 seconds+ and it is considered large and people should take considerations.

The topography and wave direction also cause some places to be bigger than what the buoys say. Mavericks could have faces more than twice the buoy listed height. Needs about 12 feet or more before it starts going off.

Those high waves of last week made some changes to the shoreline - and took out this dock. Not sure about that concrete staircase next to it. Photo also shows lack of fall color so far.

@Peter-CA said:
Very different than what we see here in NorCal. 6 foot at 6-7 seconds is probably our norm.

If 5 feet or under, we consider it flat and many of the boardy surf spots aren’t going off. Most places people paddle or surf on the coast are somewhat protected, so the waves come it as much smaller than what buoys read. Our period never really drops below the 6 seconds.

8 feet+ or 9 seconds+ and it is considered large and people should take considerations.

The topography and wave direction also cause some places to be bigger than what the buoys say. Mavericks could have faces more than twice the buoy listed height. Needs about 12 feet or more before it starts going off.

5 feet on the great lakes can be pretty challenging, because its all wind-blown, steep, and rapid. Quite different from most 5 foot ocean surf that I’ve seen, not that I’ve seen that much. Its mostly work, as much battle as it is ride. I’m not sure what board surfers get out of it, because the rides are pretty short except maybe shortly after a blow when nice slow rollers will build over reefs and bars