surge vs. rumor vs. impex

I’ve got an Impex Force Cat 3 that I really like. Only problem is that it’s @52 pounds and I’m 65 yrs old. I want the performance without the weight. (Don’t we all). Seems like there are several (expensive options): the Bestie Bay sounds great, but no way to demo the boat from Atlanta / Ga coast. I’ve just learned about the Surge, which is only available through a Maine shop, but it sounds excellent and is around 38 lbs. Finally, there’s a smaller boat, a Current Designs Rumor at 42 lbs. but 16 feet. Any y’all have any of these three and can offer some thoughts on performance? I want something that’s appropriate for an advanced paddler: narrow beam, good in rough water, somewhat decent storage…

Many thanks for sage advice…

Sterling and NC Kayaks
Both make very light lay-ups. People seems to love their boats - I haven’t tried either companies yet.

skin on frame
brings you down to the 30-pound range

rather niche
Both the Rumour and Surge are much more niche boats than your Force 3.

The Rumour is intended as a small person’s boat and, while quick for a 16’ boat, it is known as a tender boat. It will command your attention - maybe more than you wish. The Surge is a very nicely built boat but very much its own ethic as far as fit etc…

While it is always wise to demo before buying, it may be even more true for these 2 models than many others.

Surge Marine kayak
I paddle a Surge and it’s a great boat. Kerry makes only 10 to 20 boats a year and I have to agree with the prior poster it’s a niche kayak. Weights in at 37 lbs. No rudder or skeg so if you’re dependent on either that’s a consideration. Tracks well and stable in rough water, likes to be edged if you want to make a sharp turn due to long waterline. The cockpit is small so if you’re interested make sure you try getting in and out a few times including a wet exit & re-entry. Workmanship is excellent and it will definately attract attention for its looks. The Surge is a fast kayak. Last time I counted there were eight (8) in our local kayak club on Long Island which may be the highest concentration of Surge’s in the world. Haven’t checked lately but suspect you’d pay aroung $3,700 - $4,000 for a new one. Used ones are rare as people tend to keep them. I had to drive up to Massachusetts to pick up mine and depending on where you live you might want to contact Billington Sea Kayak. http://www.billingtonseakayak.com/

SOF or ski
SOF - build your own, ask someone to build it for you, whichever way you go, will weigh way under 40lb. Strip build or S&G will be heavier

Since you are in what could be defined as rather warm part of the country, a surfski is worth some consideration.

Precisely what…
…are your issues with your Force 3? For example, if you are having trouble loading / unloading the boat from your carrier, then consider a different carrier.

I’m 5’6" and found it difficult to do a straight overhead press to get my boat into my carrier’s j-cradles, especially in the wind. Bought a Thule 887xt and problem solved.

If it’s the trip to the water, then perhaps a cart would do the trick.

Once you’re on the water, what’s a few more pounds?

Or maybe you just have the ‘hots’ for a new boat :slight_smile:

surge qualities
Many thanks for this recommendation…indeed to all of you. I will indeed have to demo the boat, and that will require an expensive trip. Is it worth it? That relates to the last set of questions as what actually I find problematic about my Impex. And indeed, I can manage the boat…but inevitably I end up carrying it by myself, if only 50 feet or so between car and basement; and as I get older, I do worry about the challenges of lifting a 52 lb. boat. So at this point it’s a somewhat manageable issue, but in the coming years I suspect it’ll loom larger. Call it preventive or even “prophylactic” switch.

beautiful boat
I like their design philosophy.

Surge on p.net for sale
There is a Surge for sale in Florida listed in the p.net classifieds. I also have a friend who had been trying to sell her Surge here in Upstate NY. She wasn’t having much luck the last I knew so it might still be available.

I’m 68, and while I own and appreciate
some really light boats, I can handle 65+ pounds because, with experience, I know how to lift and manage the bulk. A 52 pound kayak would be fairly easy. If you go to really light boats, they’ll be easier to lift, but you may lose some paddling time doing repairs.