Survey - Sea Kayak Paddle Length / Style / Body

Paddle length/size is such a personal preference but I’m curious what other sea/touring kayakers prefer for their various needs, and how that matches to their height/body type/boat width. I’m an average-height male (5’11") in a 22" beam kayak. I’ve been using…

-205cm Werner Shuna for pretty much everything; high-angle is my default
-220cm Werner Camano for low-angle, but it doesn’t feel right. Can’t tell if it’s too long or if I just don’t love low-angle paddling.

Curious where other kayakers fall on the spectrum, including you Greenland paddlers.

6’ tall, boats are usually 24-25", but sometimes 22"

My personal paddles are 205cm Shuna and Corryvrecken - both straight shaft. At places I guide for, I often use a 220 or 230 Camano or unknown length (probably 230) Skagit.

My girlfriend is 5’1"and her boat is 22" wide. Her preferred paddle is straight shaft 200cm Shuna.

I am 5’-9" and paddle a 21" wide, 18 foot long kayak.
I use a 213cm wing paddle when I am racing and a 213cm euro when touring.
I always paddle high angle except if I am doing a sweep or brace

With that said, today was canoe race training with a ZRE 52" bent shaft ultralight

6’5". I usually use a 200 cm carbon Aquabond Shred ww paddle for my P & H Hammer (thanks Peter-CA for the tip). For my regular sea kayaks I use a 210 cm Werner Shuna. I can go up to a 220 cm paddle depending. 230 cm now feels so long that I feel like I’m tripping over it.

Height: 5’5"
Kayak: 16’/21"

210 cm Werner Cyprus and 84" (213 cm) GP.

High angle stroke with both paddles except in strong headwinds.

Would like to try a 205 cm Euro to see if I notice any difference.

Height 6’5" , 38" sleeve, paddle a Tarpon 160 with an Onno full tour or a Swift Wind paddle at 225-230 depending on how my left shoulder feels.

6’/185 lbs Depends on which boat I’m using. I use wing paddles exclusively, have 3 and each one is a different length. Shortest one is used for the surf ski, use the same one for the 18’ kayak and use another for my CLC 17’ (which I don’t paddle much anymore) I use the longest for my Sawyer Summersong. Each paddle is 2 piece with 10 cm adjustment. 210 cm, 215, and a 220 with larger blades.

I am 5’10" tall and paddle boats in the 21" - 23" range.
205cm Ikelos bent shaft is the norm.
210cm Cypress bent shaft is my normal deck paddle. I switch to the Cypress when I am on a trip and doing miles or when I am in pain and need to relieve some load. I am probably going to replace it with a 205cm Cypress bent shaft.

Jon
https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

230cm gp, 3.5" wide blade in all my kayaks.

205cm Euro for this 5’6” paddler in 21” to 24” wide kayaks.

Greenland user here. Great for rolling and sculling. I carry two; one longer for calm or downwind and one shorter for upwind. The loom is about 19 inches on both of my favorite paddles. (Lumpy)

5’7”, boats are 20 & 21 inches. GP’s are all 218 (Traditional arm span + a cubit length), and also have a 210 Lightning euro, and a 220 Bending Branches euro. GP’s are the primary paddles.

Six foot two–kayaks range from 23" to 28" beam and I mostly use 230 cm paddles–low angle. The Werner Camano and Carlisle Expedition get the most use.

5’5", kayaks are 19.5" & 21.25", 84" GP, have several 220 cm euros (prefer the older single piece Lightning). Would like to get a high angle 205 cm but not in my budget yet

From this bucket of data we can determine : Everyone is different.

5’ 5" here and kayaks 20" to 23" beam (all low profile Greenland style boats). Mostly use a 213 cm (84") laminated cedar shoulderless GP with 19’ loom. Have similar model carbon Gearlab Akiak 220 cm. Occasionally use a vintage fiberglass Euro 225 cm, Voyageur brand with very slender tapered blades.

6’. Kayak widths 21-22". I use a 210 cm Ikelos and a 215 cm Shuna, both bent shaft. Both are slightly too long for me. I once borrowed a 205 cm Ikelos (switching directly from my own 210 cm Ikelos), and it felt perfect.

I have now started paddling with a GP of 224 cm. 57 cm loom. The length feels ok, but I haven’t tried other lengths of GP. I have tried another GP with the same length, but a longer loom length, and that certainly didn’t feel right.

I have 4 GP’s, all around 88 inches in length, and all with 23.5 inch looms. (I did not enjoy GP’s till I switched from 20 inch looms to 23 or 24 inch looms. Makes a tremendous improvement.)

Two 220 bent shaft low angle paddles, Werner Kalliste and AT Xception Tour.

One Onno wing, 208 to 218 cm, but I always set it to 208 for high angle wing stroke. But nowadays I much prefer low angle, and much prefer GP.

My two boats are 21 and 22 inches in beam.