Suspender type PFD's ?

Does anyone use these inflatable type PFD’s? Can’t seem to find a review on them.

Mike

I use a Mustang inflatable fishing vest,
but I don’t think they make it anymore. I keep the CO2 cartridge uptodate. This is a very comfortable, slim profile vest with plenty of convenient storage pockets. If I could find another one, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. I believe the newer versions of the SOS type models, particularly the shorter ones, are far superior to the bulky PFD’s. If I need the flotation, it’s there. But the bulk of the PFD can really make things clumsy, when you aren’t in a rough or cold water location. Also, the suspender-type vests are much cooler for the warm water angler here in Florida.

Inflatable Fishing Vest
I have a Stearns SOS type fishing vest for kayaking and a SOS shortie vest for wading. I prefer the vests because I would never get in a boat without it on. In 10 years of boating safety enforcement in Northern California, I have never seen a drown boater with a vest on. Sitting on one is not good enough. I bought mine through Cabelas, but Marine West and the Fisherman’s Warehouse also carry them.

Two vests, two kinds of water…

Most of my time is spent in less than 3’ of water. I wear my SOSpenders Belt on those trips. (Must be worn to count as your PFD)

Bonus/Mini-benefit = My paddle is semi-secured simply by tucking it beneath the belt pack.

When I go in the Gulf of Mexico I wear a more traditional PFD.

stearns inflatable pfd
I’ve a Stearns inflatable pfd. Living in the Gulf Coast of Texas, its a good thing to have when it gets hot. Stearns and the people who sold it to me emphasize that its NOT a whitewater pfd. Mine has pockets so I can put my fly/ultralight spinner boxes in them. But, its pricier than the ones without pockets. Geez, you’d thing a bit extra nylon and a few zippers wouldn’t add up.

I’ve not used the CO2 to inflate it yet, but have blown it up by mouth. Its easy and quick. Some on other forums dis inflatable pfd’s, and they aren’t the best if you are not conscious…in fact, don’t work at all. But, that’s rare in flatwater canoeing and kayaking unless hit by a power boat.

In the end, does it matter if you have a regular pfd that you don’t wear and sit on. Or, is it better to have an inflatable that’s comfortable and you’ll wear? I take the one I wear. If you get separated from the yak or canoe, its with you. Of course, you can always leash a regular pfd to you if you aren’t going to wear it.

Also, if you wade fish, its a great back up if you fall in a hole or get washed away by waves. That’s happened to me a few times and it can get scary. The inflatable is a bit of extra precaution.

stearns inflatable pfd
I’ve a Stearns inflatable pfd. Living in the Gulf Coast of Texas, its a good thing to have when it gets hot. Stearns and the people who sold it to me emphasize that its NOT a whitewater pfd. Mine has pockets so I can put my fly/ultralight spinner boxes in them. But, its pricier than the ones without pockets. Geez, you’d thing a bit extra nylon and a few zippers wouldn’t add up.

I’ve not used the CO2 to inflate it yet, but have blown it up by mouth. Its easy and quick. Some on other forums dis inflatable pfd’s, and they aren’t the best if you are not conscious…in fact, don’t work at all. But, that’s rare in flatwater canoeing and kayaking unless hit by a power boat.

In the end, does it matter if you have a regular pfd that you don’t wear and sit on. Or, is it better to have an inflatable that’s comfortable and you’ll wear? I take the one I wear. If you get separated from the yak or canoe, its with you. Of course, you can always leash a regular pfd to you if you aren’t going to wear it.

Also, if you wade fish, its a great back up if you fall in a hole or get washed away by waves. That’s happened to me a few times and it can get scary. The inflatable is a bit of extra precaution.

Stearns new inflatable/chest pack
I’m always concerned about whether these sospenders or any other CO2 cartridge inflatable will fail? I ask bc I’m looking into them.

Has anyone tried Stearns inflatable chest pack? It apparently has “inflatable compartments.” It looks like it would be perfect for me, but it’s new.

Failure of CO 2 pfd’s
It helps to check the pfd every year, maybe more often by blowing it up by mouth to check for leaks. Cartridges cost about 12 to 14 bucks, but any good pfd is costly. Haven’t heard of any failures on the two or three boards I watch. Main advantage, they’re cooler. Main disadvantages, not good for white water and won’t keep you afloat if you go into the water unconscious and the jacket isn’t inflated.

Sterns CO2 Vest
I have a Stearns inflatable vest, Cabelas has them in their catalog, I put mine on before I launch and I do’t take it off till my boat is on top of my rig. I also have a shorty SOS wading vest, I use when steelhead fishing. They cost more, but then what is something that may save your life worth.

Sterns CO2 Vest
I have a Stearns inflatable vest, Cabelas has them in their catalog, I put mine on before I launch and I do’t take it off till my boat is on top of my rig. I also have a shorty SOS wading vest, I use when steelhead fishing. They cost more, but then what is something that may save your life worth.