SW PA kayaking

Looking for rivers with class I, II rapids that I can take my hard-side, rec. kayaks on this summer in the Ohiopyle, PA area. Will be doing the middle section of the Yough River with them. Any other do-able rivers within an hour’s drive?

how about Friendsville on down to …
… the reservoir (Md. side) .

contact Benscreek club
Benscreek Canoe and Kayak Club. The Benscreek Canoe and Kayak Club is a group of paddlers from The Alleghenies region of Pennsylvania (near Johnstown) established in 1970.

check out the website:

http://www.benscreekcanoeclub.com/

If you talk to Rodger Latuch, tell him Marvin sent you the info.

Kaps

Casselman River
The Casselman, which I have not run, is a commonly run Class I to II in that region. It is often a refuge for boaters who have come to run the Youghigheny and found it too high for their comfort level.

You can go to americanwhitewater.org and click on the river info tab for PA to get descriptions and stream flows (if gauges are available) for the more commonly run whitewater streams in the state.

Hey pblanc!
do you come from Somerset County? The Casselman is not as well known as it might be. There is a new paddling launch in Rockwood, just a 5 minute walk from the bike trail that goes to Pittsburg through the Laurel Highlands.

I will be there this weekend- to look and walk if not to paddle.

Kaps

Nope
I used to live in the other corner of PA but I would come over to run the Yough, the Slippery Rock, and some others whose names I can’t keep straight. But I heard good things about the Casselman from folks who went there to run it when the lower Yough was too juicy.