Swell Watercraft Scupper 16

I am very interested in this boat BUT…
This is a new company and the 16 is a new boat. If I order one now and pay for it, I’ll have it by August '24 .
That makes me a bit skeptical.
They have several videos of it being paddled .
I can’t imagine why takes 9 months to produce a boat with an existing mold. What are they doing with my money in the interim?

1 Like

Probably paying off start-up expenses. There’s a black hole shortly after new businesses open their doors when all the bills come due but revenue isn’t flowing in yet. Lots of promising businesses don’t make it through.

1 Like

Odd as their website states August 2023. I’d hate for you to buy it and not like it. If you do have to wait that long I’d be leery, reminds me of the TRAK kayak mess.

I’d hate to pay and never see it. I’ve moved on.

1 Like

What about the fact that it weighs 70 lbs?

1 Like

It’s lighter than my Tarpon 160 which I sold.

Not quite a new company - been around several years (we’ve been selling them in our Chicago area store since 2020). New factory in Iowa to build the line, which took a little longer to get up and running than they’d planned. Video this week shows that the oven is in and they’re close to being able to start spinning boats, and getting product out to buyers.

Can’t vouch for the 16 as it’s a brand new product, but the 14 is everything it’s cracked up to be, which bodes well for the longer boat. They’re all poly, so weights aren’t going to be what they are with a comparable Stellar, for ex, but bang for the buck makes them a good value.

1 Like

Thank you for the update. I think I’m too old and too impatient to wait until August.

I’ve had an OK Scupper pro tank well for over 20 years and think it’s a good design. The 16 ft should be just as nice. I also have an OK trident 13 and it is actually better handling in confused water. I paddle Lake Erie with them in the summer and early fall. But they both, at 53 and 70 lbs are getting heavy especially after a few hours paddling to cartop so I bought a Malone trailer…