Tahe Marine Greenland: pix and report

First impressions on the Tahe Marine Greenland.

Not a kayak for the beginner but a dream roller.

Big feet won’t fit (big bodiers either :-).

More details and pictures at: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2009/08/tahe-marine-greenland-first-impressions.html

How big is big?
Will size 11’s fit?

size 11 US? maybe
size 11 (US) feet might feet with booties.

It is a low deck (but not as low as the aft deck)

Pic added to the blog…

Thanks
for posting that review. Very interesting boat for sure.

11 fit
I was in one yesterday. I am 6’2" 215, size 10 1/2 but wearing an NRS size 11 bootie, fit no problem (feet, that is!) Body on the other hand was snug getting in the cockpit, and getting out in a capsize would be an adventure, at least compared to my Chatham or Assateague. I found that the lack of outfitting made me feel less connected and in control of the boat than I am used to. But what a beautiful boat. The lines are, in my mind, the most aesthetically appealing of any manufactured boat available. Paddled nicely, edged well, probably a very good roller. I chose not to try because I didn’t have the foot pegs adjusted properly and really had no leverage available for my feet/knees/hips. And the aforementioned possible (probable, in my case!) difficulty in a wet exit had me thinking better of trying to roll it.

Tahe Marine Greenland
Beautiful boat! You must be so excited - thanks for the pics - those of us in the Midwest (US) will have no chance of actually seeing one anytime soon.

TM Greeland - Pure Pleasure
As a 5’1" and 115 lb female paddler, the TM Greenland is pure pleasure, not to mention absolutely beautiful. I am not a beginner, nor am I an expert by any means, but this is the nicest boat I’ve ever had the pleasure of paddling (ocean and lakes). Physical size, skill, and attitude go into evaluating a boat–but I’ve never found such a good fit in a composite boat–that feeling of being one–body boat paddle water–seemless. I do not expect to paddle anything else–it rolls, balance brace, sculling brace–and is a most comfy all-day on the water boat. Minimalist camping is definitely possible for me. It will take a few more months for a thorough evaluation and I’ve only had it a month, but I’ve been in some bumpy stuff and it’s like a rock. It’s fast, highly maneuverable, and wind doesn’t affect it very much. I am a very small person and that fact alone affects how it performs. Doubt it would be the same for a bigger person. This is only my experience.

where are you located?
I have several on order…Thunder Bay Ontario Canada…but not sure how far that is to you?

Cheers…Joe O’

I was
rolling one Yesterday.

I’m around 205 …5’10…with size 11 1/2 or 12 feet.

I didn’t have anything on my feet (barefoot) I fit fine.

I’m close to it’s top weight range. found it to be as close to a cheater rolling kayak as anyone will be able to buy off any shelf.

fits a valley ocean cockpit skirt size…very handy.

lay-up is a little flimsey for hard use conditions, but the kayak paddles nicely and rolls like a dream.

solid solid balance bracing…very confidence building kayak.

Best Wishes

Roy

demo in the Detroit area
Where are you in the Midwest? Riverside Kayak has a demo boat in the metro Detroit area.

It is a very easy boat to roll with. I could easily balance brace and recover without the paddle, which I am still working to get with my Anas Acuta. I was also able to hit two hand rolls (first time ever). It took two swipes with the hand, but I will take it. Not bad for a 10-minute demo paddle.

My size 12 (US) booties fit although I have to point my toes.

Pointing your toes is normal…
…in low volume boats. Once you get used to it, it’s no big deal at all. You’ll probably find that it’s more relaxing to paddle that way.

No problem
"I chose not to try because I didn’t have the foot pegs adjusted properly and really had no leverage available for my feet/knees/hips. And the aforementioned possible (probable, in my case!) difficulty in a wet exit had me thinking better of trying to roll it."

I believe it tends to be easier to wet exit a low volume kayak than to get in or out normally. I have to squirm to get in and out of my replica SOF and was afraid I could not wet exit it. Turned out it was not bad. Of course getting back in is a whole other story.

Did you try just flexing your legs against the deck to gain some purchase? Don’t need much to roll that boat.

pretty good roller…
I also had a chance to try out this boat for about 2 minutes this past weekend in Michigan. Thanks Ken! I was pleasantly surprised with how the kayak looks in person. The photos made it look really harsh and angular but in person it really did look quite nice. It’s like a stealth bomber meets a greenland qajaq.

I didn’t really paddle it but rather put it to a quick rolling test. I have a pretty good repertoire of rolls so I was able to do a pretty thorough rolling test in a short period of time. Really good kayaks for layback rolls tend to be planks (very flat hulls with a definitive “flop”) and really good kayaks for forward finishing rolls tend to be logs (rounded hulls with little to no “flop”). While I tend to like planks, I thought the Tahe Greenland struck a really nice balance between the two rolling extremes and felt to me like a “skinny plank”.

The cockpit was roomy for my 5’8" frame and I appreciated the higher foredeck height since I have tight hamstrings. My only problems with the kayak were that the footpegs were a bit fussy (I don’t use them for rolling but getting them out of the way was a bit of a challenge) and the inside of the cockpit is super slick (like Teflon) which made gripping the deck with my drysuit covered legs a challenge. I should have taken the foam insert that the owner initially offered.

For rolling, layback rolls were simple enough and the back deck was nice and low. Hand rolls, elbow rolls, balance braces, etc. were easy to pull off but it wasn’t anything particularly special compared to some other kayaks I’ve been in. With some foam under the deck, I think straitjacket rolls would be pretty doable as well in this kayak. For forward finishing rolls, those all worked pretty well including forward finishing hand rolls. Again, it wasn’t the best forward finishing kayak I’ve been in but it was decent.

Now it may seem like I’m not impressed with the Tahe and that’s absolutely not the case. I’ve been in many kayaks that are better at layback rolls and many kayaks that are better at foreward finishing rolls but very few kayaks that are as good as the Tahe Greenland at both combined. It makes very good compromises and the end result is an excellent boat for people interested in learning quite a variety of greenland rolls.

While I also have worked on building and designing rolling kayaks of my own, I’m always happy to see more kayaks like these on the market as it just means that more people are interested in learning more about greenland style paddling.

Greenlander
Complete review in the new issue of Sea Kayaker magazine, just got mine yesterday.

Bill H.

Sea Kayaker

– Last Updated: Aug-26-09 6:12 PM EST –

I better go buy a copy today. We just ordered 5 Tahe kayaks yesterday and 3 are the Greenland model!!

Cheers...Joe O'
http://www.joeoblenis.com/

Finally Got To Try One!
Yes…my wish came true. I finally got to paddle one a few days ago!! All I can say is…SWEET! It is a 17’ 10" long/ 19’ 3/4" wide dream. Long, sleek and very sexy to look at but also very functional. From the minute I parked my butt into its seat I was comfortable. The lighter fiberglass layup makes it very light. I am 5’2", 115# female. I sat in both cockpit sizes but smaller one fit me to a tee. My husband who is 6’, 185# with a size 12 foot fit just fine in the larger one. It is a very well finished kayak. I couldn’t see any imperfections in the gelcoat. The only obvious thing missing were toggles on the bow and stern…though that’s easily remedied. Was told that a kayak could be ordered with them.

On the water, initial stability is excellent. Very easy to lean while turning. As a matter of fact, it turned quite easily. Amazing to paddle, smooth and fast with little weather cocking although a skeg is present and I used it just to see what it was like. I really didn’t need it.

I also found that it rolled effortlessly. My first roll, I put the usual omph I do when rolling my Andromeda and came up so quickly that I felt like I never rolled. This kayak really lets you slow things down while rolling. Balance braces were no problem as were sculling braces. I didn’t get too much more daring (don’t know why) but know I could in this kayak.

Overall, this is one great kayak. It is a beautifully long, sleek kayak that is wonderful to paddle and a pleasure to roll. A big thumbs up. I will definitely be buying this one.

Someone please buy my Andromeda. Momma needs a new kayak!