Taking along musical instruments

bones

Bagpipes.
Now there’s an instrument for camping.

just remember
a Backpacker is NOT a substitite for a BIG guitar.

It’s a substitute for NO guitar.

I love mine. It fits in the stern compartment of a Tempest and I’ve taken it sea kayaking, canoe camping, Grand Canyon, carry-on on airplanes, etc.

Why do you think my nickname is ‘flatpick’???

steve

True story…
A friend of mine was out on a pontoon boat a few years ago with 5 or 6 other folks on board. I’m guessing there was some beer on this craft too. About 50’ from shore they pulled up anchor and were ready to head in for the day. The motor refused to start. Eventually, Steve leaned out over the bow and paddled the derelict to shore with a nice Gibson acoustic/electric guitar.

The guitar survived—although I think the electronics needed to be replaced.

Why somebody didn’t swim to shore and tow the boat I’ll never know. I wasn’t there that day.

-Rob

Probalby was an Epiphone Copy …
Plywood and cheap asian wood.

Already spent a good amount of time in steamy asian sweat shop underwater.

Cheaper than a Werner or Lendal

Yes take it!
Very rarely do I paddle without my guitar. I have a Martin backpacker and take it on my kayak. It doesn’t sound or play as nice as my others but it is a guitar in the wild. I used to pack it in an industrial plastic bag and just rolled it up and tied it with a length of old shock cord. I found a waterproof gun bag in a pawn shop that it fit in perfectly. It’s also lightly padded. It will fit in the rear deck hatch when there is nothing else in there. Mostly I just strap it to the rear deck and off I go. There is a company that makes dry bags for guitars. When I find it again I’ll post it.

It’s not the best playing or sounding guitar but you do you get your playing fix and others usually get some entertainment. I’ll be looking at upgrading my guitar this weekend. I’m going to see about getting a radiused fingerboard installed on it. That will help with the playability. Enjoy!

Dulcimer (mountain/lap)
Anyone play one?

I used to, about 25 years ago but have allowed it to fall by the wayside. Need to pick it up again.

Jim

I hope nobody is crazy enough to carry a hammered dulcimer on the water!

Strumstick
Has anyone ever tried a Strumstick? There was a guy playing one on his dock one quiet evening last October when hubby and I were paddling. We had never seen or heard anything quite like it, so we stopped to talk to him. He had just gotten it for his birthday. Pretty neat, hearing Norwegian Wood wafting across the water.

Gnatcatcher

I heard a bagpipe one night at
Jocassee. Medicineman can do more than paddle.

So, taken to pluckin’ and…
…strokin’, eh? What’s up with that? Wanda leave ya winded?

Ahhh, female cellists! So much sensitivity suggestively sent-out when the sonority scintillates certain senses in settings while sitting! Simply sinful, I say, ya sexy silly seal magnet, you!

Sousaphone Sammy and His Circle of Sandblastin’ Soul Sound-Without-Sanity Orchestra.

“What! People cross the lake complainin’ again! Let them wither in their dither when I strike up my zither!” - Third Man Pulled From the Welles

Its what I played in high school
when I was in the marching band.

The sounds in that clip…
might be considered natural but were still man-made. I call that a wind instrument and wouldn’t want to hear that while camping, either.

and played once at okefenokee p.net
gathering but was promptly shut down by a ranger within 2 minutes-not everyone appreciates the highland pipe…don’t worry,wont be bringing them to Sparkleberry :frowning:

strumstick
I’ve tried them in the store. They’re a lot of fun and perfect for people who don’t know how to play. Very easy to get a nice sound out of them.

I have been thinking about getting
a Martin LX series for camping- they are made out of formica and actually sound pretty good. Would never bring either of my other Martins, way too much jing to mess with, and bug spray is the perfect solvent for the nitrocellulose finish.

http://users.gmavt.net/gnomon/

~Glenn

Strumstick
Can you be more specific about “people who do not know how to play”? How are they tuned?

Jim

Don’t read music and dulcimer is tuned D-A-A

Check this link
http://www.strumstick.com/index.html

Everything you wanted to know about a strumstick and more…

Guitar Dry Bag
I’ve been eyeing this thing up for a while. Jack’s Plastic Welding makes the best dry bags… My husband plays classical - his “OLD” guitar is a Ramirez, circa 1981. Probably worth about $1800 even now, with it all dinged up and crackly. … Yeah, that is SO not going on a river trip. But the old plastic backed steel string Ovation might go…

http://www.jpwinc.com/index.php?page=products&item_no=4133

magical food
beans!- and lots of em,err-pull my finger-bert

Strumstick
Now that is kinda cool.

Jim