Taking your kayak to work

I do it.
Today I took a break early in the evening for a paddle on a nearby lake and then went back to work.

I still put in 10 hours and got the work done.

I’ve been doing it for around 10 years.

Earns respect
Except for the dead of winter between pool sessions, people are used to seeing boats on my car at work. During the paddling season when I’m in boats at least three times a week, it feels weird not to have a boat on the car.

Besides, I’m a gray haired guy working on a college campus. Students think it’s cool to see boats on my car - especially the whitewater boats. The president and provost think it is admirable that an administrator of rank is physically active in such a manner. As a matter of fact, as a result of seeing boats on my car we ended up spending an afternoon getting the president and her husband into each of our sea kayaks.

They gave me special parking.
They asked me to park in an area where I can take up more than one space without causing traffic issues. Kind of nice of them to provide a special spot for me. They didn’t really want me parking so close to the front entrance because others and myself can see the boat often and it encourages leaving early.

is it 'take your kayak to work day’
It’s always fun once a year to see all the young kayaks around work seeing how we earn money for new gear.

who cares
Who cares. Its your boat and car. I think it would look cool.

let 'em talk
what else do they have to do?

I took mine to work once
it didn’t do a damn thing all day. After that I just leave it at home. Lazy bugger.

work
Depending on the mood of security, I’ve had mine go through the gate no issue, get checked, and in one instance -taken off the car and searched by bomb sniffing dogs.

My Dirago won’t fit into the elevator.
otherwise i’d probnably bring it to work.