Tale of woe and finally a new kayak

Putting you both on the prayer list right now. I’ll be calling and passing the word.

4 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Your new boat is beautiful, and your old one’s not too shabby either. Wishing you the best.

2 Likes

Hi Pru. I am not sure you are the same gal that I sold a Tiderace Xplore S ten or so years ago or not. No matter either way - hang in there and enjoy that pretty boat! (metalflake is my weakness too)

I have a new carbon hybrid Petrel Play coming in the next 2-3 weeks so I am glad to hear I wasn’t the only one with new boat fever!

Cheers from the Myrtle Beach, SC area and prayers for your and your son’s recoveries!

Best,

Scott L

1 Like

That was not me, but I have location envy now! Congrats on your new boat. And thank you, and also @Beeceemark, for your kindness.

Yes, I cannot forget you, I hope the new boat is a sign that 2023 brings you better days.

1 Like

Thank you, Craig. I’m starting to get excited that I might be able to boat again. So that’s a very good thing. When the boat first arrived, it depressed the hell out of me, like a big expensive reminder of what I can no longer do.

I can’t help but think that the new boat arriving within days of the Chinese Lunar New Year - a year of the rabbit, and hope - is nothing if not a great omen. All fingers and toes crossed for you!

1 Like

Thank you. I love this.

Wow! So sorry to hear about your woes! Life is truly a roller coaster ride. Your problems are making me feel lucky and you definitely wouldn’t want my luck! That kayak is a beauty and it was probably not easy to get in these COVID times…I had to buy two new kayaks because our home was badly burned on June 30, 2021, but trying to find one let alone get it shipped to Northern Nevada turned out to be a real challenge. My wife and I ended up going to Redding CA, from the Reno, NV area to pick up two new FeelFree Aventura 125 kayaks on my birthday which was January of 2022. I got COVID on that trip and my wife was confined in the same vehicle with me for two full days of driving. Since our home burned, we now live in a rental house with a small garage, so we had the two kayaks in the dining room until Spring at which time I bought two kayak covers and a storage rack. On the bright side we did get to go kayaking one time last year…our home still stands like it did on June 30, 2021. Nothing happens quickly in these times we are in.

I hope your son gets the transplant he needs soon and your life gets back to some kind of normalcy.

2 Likes

I relate to your kind of “luck.” I also only paddled once last year, between recovery from hand surgery and then catching Covid. A house fire is terrifying. I hope you get your home back as quickly and as free from stress as possible. And I hope we all get some time on the water to nourish our souls. Thank you for the kind words.

1 Like

Nearly 19 months later and we’re about to demo the house…what a nightmare. If I didn’t have a good job I don’t know what we would have done. Homeowners Insurance is a joke. We are currently on adjuster #8 and most of them did nothing to move us forward. I’m sure you can relate in your situation; there’s a lot of frustration, feelings of helplessness and loss of sleep.

Here’s a shot of our new kayaks…we drove five hours each way to pick them up after locating them. It was actually a pretty nice weekend even though I got COVID. I was really only sick for about 24 hours. I wish you well!

2 Likes

19 months is a very long time for this to go on! I’m so sorry. And on top of the grief of the losses from a house fire… it’s a lot to endure.

No one in my new neighborhood is the least bit friendly. It’s not like I can socialize given our risks here, but these people don’t even wave back. Except one very kind 84 year old man 2 houses over. He came to greet me after we moved in and I had to tell him to keep his distance and explained why. We’ve become friends since. He checks in with me every morning to let me know he’s okay (at my request) and I do some little things to help him (bring his mail down his very steep driveway and take his trash can up and down - which is dangerous for him, and good for my own cardiac recovery). We live among huge old trees, and one fell on and through his house weeks ago; his insurance STILL hasn’t sent an adjuster. They’ve only paid to have tarps nailed to the multiple HUGE holes in his roof. I honestly wish I were in the position to offer to have him stay with us until it’s resolved since he doesn’t have family very nearby. Anyway, (he and) I definitely relate to your feelings of frustration, helplessness and loss of sleep. Big time on the last one. I haven’t slept well in too long…

At least we have beautiful kayaks! I hope you get to use yours soon.

1 Like

Your 84 year old neighbor sounds like a good guy and it’s pretty nice of you to do the things you’re doing for him. Screw all the other neighbors! Although, you may find that by you being friendly and neighborly the other neighbors will come around; although sometimes it’s best they stay to themselves! LOL! People are different in different parts of the country. Out West they’re pretty friendly but back on the East coast, unless you initiate a conversation, they don’t even recognize you’re there. That’s a pretty generalized statement as I’ve only been to Washington DC and Philadelphia, so take it with a grain of salt.

Speaking of cardiac recovery, I was there not too long ago, 10 months before our fire right when COVID was taking off, July 24, 2020. I and a couple friends from work were golfing in Truckee CA and I had this burning in my lungs that kept getting worse, then I started to sweat like crazy. The burning in my lungs kept getting worse then my wrists and my elbows started burning; I was really tired, too. I was afraid it was COVID and everybody at work was going to have to be tested and blah blah blah. I decided I should go home but didn’t think I should drive back to Reno. So, we went to the Hospital in Truckee. They came out asked what was going on and as soon as I told them, they wheeled me into the hospital and started working like crazy on me. My pulse was down to 40 and my body temperature was 80°F. They told me what was going on and told me as long as they could get me stabilized, they would put me on CareFlight, which was going to be there in 7 minutes, and send me to the hospital in Reno, where my wife would be waiting along with a surgeon. It was a $25,000.00, 8 minute, helicopter ride and then 72 hours in the hospital. I was ready to go home as soon as I got to ICU, but they told me I wouldn’t be going home for 72 hours. It was quite the experience. That was a Friday and I was home by Monday and ready to go back to work; but my employer wouldn’t let me come back for a week. I then went to Cardiac Rehab for 6 months which I really liked. It was half education, mostly about diet, and half exercise…the exercise part was the best part. I have never had high blood pressure or high cholesterol, but evidently my blood likes to make plaque. It’s the luck of the draw!

I hope to go kayaking this year as much as possible, that is for sure.

What insurance company does your neighbor have?

2 Likes