Tandem Sea Kayak

Hello! I’m looking for advice on a tandem sea kayak for camping.

We recently really liked our 19’ up in the Apostles (unknown Chinese import). Seemed perfect for our gear amounts. Tandem is required due to my health issues, but we’ve enjoyed the various ones we’ve used for fun and tours. Worried the 21’+ will be hard to turn. Closed options with a skirt are required for Lake Superior.

Hoping to continue exploring the Great Lakes, large lakes in the BWCA that don’t have portages, and the Mississippi River. I’d appreciate any recommendations! I’m in Wisconsin if anyone has retailers in mind!

Not a lot of tandem experience to speak from but I stumbled on this today: Necky 2 person sea kayak - boats - by owner - marine sale - craigslist

I wouldn’t think there should be much difference in turning difficulty due to an extra foot or two in length. If money isn’t an object the Current Designs Unity seems nice.

1 Like

The basic recommendation for a tandem is the same as for any kayak - really best if you can do an on water test before buying.

Any tandem at these sizes won’t turn well as compared to say a 15’ single kayak, but they will turn just fine for what you need. Pretty much all will come with a rudder and with a tandem you most likely will use it.

Tandems aren’t as often on the market, new or used, so would I just take time seeing what is available in your area and trying them out and see what works. Any major sea kayak brand should be fine if it meets a paddle test you do.

These boats are big/heavy and transporting and storing become major issues for some. Don’t get one too long to fit on your car or in a storage area. Composite (fiberglass, Kevlar, Carbon) are generally lightest, thermoformed (made by Delta or Eddyline) next, and rotomolded plastic the heaviest (but cheapest). Using a dolly to transport from car to launch is more than acceptable. As is finding ways to get on car roof that area easier than a full on lift.

I’ve had some time now in the Stellar ST19MOD and have been pleasantly surprised at its combination of stability like the ST17, it’s speed and fit more like the ST21, comes with a skeg and rudder along with the ability to store small and fit inside of a station wagon. Responds to an edge and is very forgiving at heel so not as rudder dependent as the ST21. Weight is 67lbs assembled. Individually 12-27lbs per section.

1 Like

WOW, first I have seen of that Stellar Mod. What a fabulous design! Yes, it’s six grand but you get two kayaks in one (with high end solo kayaks going for 3 to 4 grand each anyway): a solo under 45 pounds plus a manageable 70 pound tandem AND they break downfor transport and storage. Brilliant!

I have salivated over Stellars for a while (after getting to test a couple of them at a local stocking dealer.) This is such an amazing boat I am almost tempted to liquidate most of my fleet to order one.

That looked great until I saw the 340 lbs. capacity rating. That won’t be enough for 2 adults plus camping gear. Love the design though.

That’s per cockpit. The owner of Stellar and I cruised around this as a tandem and we are together 420lbs. The kayak didn’t seem to notice.

1 Like

Now this is interesting. I expected a lower capacity because of the modular structure. But 680 lbs. is more than the ST21!

Broader beam.

… Deleted

Libra XT Tandem great hull. There are some used. You don’t want to be banging paddles so you probably need something 21 feet long. Possibly Seaward Passat. Libra has decent speed cruise 3.5 mph one strong paddler on not so strong. Libra goes through just about anything. She won’t go out in really rough water but we have hit honest 3’ curling boat wakes and it like nothing. Really dry riding boat. One paddler can keep it going fairly decent if other paddler is not paddling. Empty it’s 100 lb. hull in fiberglass. I do get it up on an Excursion near 7’ high by myself with planning and technique.

1 Like

I have owned and used both sit in and sit on top doubles and turning was not a problem but having a rudder or not made a great deal of difference. Often their is a cross wind and so a lot more effort is made to keep the kayak on course if only able to do so with the paddles. A rudder makes a world of difference and can reduce the effort by half or more.

More of an issue is the weight with a single weighing less than 50 lbs and a double weighing 90 lbs or more. Even with the Thule Hullivator I found it difficult to get the double kayak up on the roof rack of my truck. If I had had a small sedan or SUV it would have been much easier. We replaced the last double with two singles to have a more manageable amount of weight to lift.