Tandem/ Solo Kayak

My wife and I are looking to buy a kayak. At first we were thinking one single and one tandem, so that we could either paddle together or solo. We recently saw some tandem yaks where the front seat can be moved rearward for solo paddling. This seems ideal. Any thoughts on these type of boats? Any recommendations (Brand, model)for this style of boat?

Thanks

Hobie Oddysey

– Last Updated: Aug-28-05 7:49 PM EST –

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_odyssey.html

This is what I did for my first Kayak. It is a sit-on-top that paddles well tandem or solo with the seat in the middle. If you are really heavy it's kind of a wet ride for the person in front, otherwise it is a very comfortable, stable and fun boat to start with. It paddles fast for a 14' sot and paddles well in wind. I've had it out in significant wind waves and large swells, but it's not the best for surfing in waves over ~ 3'.

tandem/solo
I started out with one of these boats for the very same reason - I could take my daughter along or go solo. I very quickly purchased a solo kayak for me. I found the tandem extremely unwieldly for a single person. Granted, I’m not very big, but it was way too much boat for me to push around alone. Two singles would be much better. There’s a reason they call tandems like that “divorce boats!” My hubby and I now have two day tourers and are much happier. (It took him 5 years after the purchase of my first boat to get the idea that it could be fun!)

The Seda Amigo
http://www.sedakayak.com/

I’ve never tried one but it looks reasonable.

We have one solo and one tandem
The tandem is great for two people (WS Pamlico 135T) but the solo is infinitely better for solo paddling rather than moving the tandem seat back towards the middle. The solo is much lighter and easy to transport. The tandem is cumbersome to transport due to weight if you want to paddle it alone.

Figure out first what kind of kayakling
you will be doing. If it will be exclusively you and your wife, you will be much happier over the long run with two singles. If you will be taking a child with you, one tandem might make sense. But if there will only be the two of you, it’s much more comfortable to talk and explore if you are in two separate boats.

exactly
Exactly what my husband and I found out!

Check out the Loon 160T
The following is my response to a similar post in the past …

I own a Loon 160T.

My wife likes to paddle with me, and does not want her own kayak. Yet, I’ve really enjoyed paddling this yak solo, even on 100 mile trips.

I’ve found this to be a very roomy and stable boat. It has a 500 lb capacity.

Make sure you check the Product Reviews.

Now, for the down side:

This boat is heavy at about 80 lbs. Even with two of you, it is a LOT easier to wheel it on a cart than try to carry it to the water. The cart is also valuable if you do any portages.

Tracking on open water in wind and waves can be a big issue or a non-issue, depending on how you distribute the load in the boat. After I bought my 160T, I was tempted to buy the optional rudder package. Two years later, I really have no desire for a rudder.

Try before you buy is good advice. Check local liveries. The Loons are popular rental boats.