Tape residue removal

Looking for suggestions for the best (easiest) way to remove UHMW polyethylene tape residue from an ABS seat.

I’ve removed the tape strips with the help of a hair dryer, but there’s residue where the tape had worn. Hot water and Dawn didn’t work, nor did hair dryer heat or alcohol.

Thanks!

I’d try…
…Go Gone, or naphtha.

I’d test it first on an inconspicuous spot though.

Thanks!!
While checking to see if naphtha was safe on ABS, found a comment by some plastics expert suggesting olive oil.

No naphtha here but lots of olive oil so I tried it. Crazy, but it worked! Fustini’s Gremolata. Maybe the garlic helped?

Good to know
I’d never heard of olive oil. Another useful adhesive remover is WD40. I have used it on my motorcycle and minivan to remove dealer and manufacturer decals. I’m not sure how safe it would be on the plastic so as previously suggested I’d recommend trying an inconspicuous spot first.

Yum, yum!
I love olive oil

jack L

Vegetable oils
Soak…

The killer is Turtle wax decal remover in green can at Wal…deodorized acetone…downwind n on metal n glass…

Last clean for rocker panels after thinner removes chipseal.

Edible oils
are good for that, as you found with olive oil. The oil prevents the residue from re-sticking as you roll it off. Number one recommendation is because they are non-toxic.

Paint Thinner Soaked Rag
Is what I use to get off years old contact cement residue and bits of foam from the cockpit of my surfski. I just leave the rag on for a couple of hours to work through and soften the residue, then wipe up.

Acetone dissolves ABS
Wanted to dissolve the tape residue, not the seat.

I wrote I wrote I
wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass. wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass. wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass. wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass. wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass. wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass. wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass. wrote the turtle wax liquid is used on metal and glass.

TRY
WD-40 or PB Blaster

WD 40
was going to be my suggestion. Seems to work for a lot of removal chores. As an aside, vegetable oils work for removing chewing gum from various things - like kids’ hair.