Tarpon - Class 4 River Runner?

Forget Swiftys in class 2. How about a Tarpon in the New River Gorge? :slight_smile:

Reposted from http://boatertalk.com/messageframe.php?frames=yes&forumid=BoaterTalk&mid=638305

Well

This sunday paddling started as a why not try it day. Lets start the day before.

Hey Nori do you want a sit on top?

NO!!!

Hey Nori I will give it you you cheap.

NO!!! I just bought a Mirage(only 100 bucks)

Hey Nori I will sell this for 100 bucks

Yes!! I just bought it for the cheap priceā€¦

Anyway Sunday moring comes along and Gualey is only Releaseing 350 CSF.

Time for the lower new with the new Sit on top. What I have bought is Wilderness system Tarpon 100. Made for Fishingā€¦ Made for class 0 Boating. Flat water.

Why not take down class 4 big water river. I have been down this river 100 times. I think I can do this. If anyone asks what the F are you doing I will just respose as ā€œI just bought this boat yesterday and I am going to take it down the Gorgeā€ I was hoping to trick some Ohio boaters that I was going to kill myself.

Upper Railroad. Cleaned it. but at the wave under the Bridge I hit my buddy and swam.(that does not count as a swim)

Strided the swimmers rapid and fell off the boat(still does not count)

Surfed Ender No swim

Aced Kenney, Double Z and Gray hound.

Surfed the Grayhound Fliped and swam 8 times(Still does not count as a swim)

Then at the bottom of millers folly I hit the Poreover hole and Swam!!! There is the swiming Asainā€¦

So I paddle a big water with sit on top made for fishing. Why not. Next trip will be Lower yough. I hope I can trick some keel hauler into convince me not to go down the Lower yough with a sit on top.

The swimming Asain

I Donā€™t Knowā€¦
The dude was out of his SOT how many times? And, most of them, are not ā€œswims?ā€ I donā€™t get it. Youā€™re out the boat, youā€™re swimming. How does that not count?

If I were out of the boat that much, I would step way, way back from whatever he was paddling, or I just give it up all together. Thatā€™s just me.

sing

Hereā€™s the way I interpreted it
You canā€™t roll a stock-from-factory Tarpon, so I think he figured that swims while surfing or screwing around (ā€œstridingā€=running a rapid while standing) donā€™t count. Thus, according to that logic, the only ā€˜realā€™ flip/swim was at Millers Folly. Personally, I would have counted his flip at RR as a swim, too.

Hereā€™s How I Interpret Itā€¦
Having done one swim down a class IV, any reason going down a run like that, without a boat, no matter how you want to call it or not, just plain sux! :slight_smile:

sing

L
Did you have Thigh straps?

It wasnā€™t meā€¦
I would assume he didnā€™t have straps, or he wouldnā€™t have swum every time he flipped during a surf. Iā€™ve seen people roll Torrents, so I assume a Tarpon would be rollable, too, with decent technique.

Go For It
Iā€™ve been running rapids in my 14ā€™ sit-on-top for several years now.

If I dump my boat in rapids I grab the thighstraps and climb back in. This replaces doing a roll for me.

Thereā€™s a new class IV+ on the Salmon, here in Idaho. It can rip you out of a kayak. At least with a SOT you can get back in and not count on someone rescueing your boat. Iā€™ve been reading that about half the rafters who run this are flipping. I think Iā€™ll drive down river and take some photos. Donā€™t know if I want to try it or not yet. Have to look first.

During high water season I hit a huge wall of water that washed me off my kayak. I was still able to hold on to the thighstraps and climb back on.