Tarpon in light whitewater

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the WS tarpons or other SOT’s in smaller streams or rivers, with whitewater up to class II? Is there a big difference in maneuverability between the Tarpon 100, and the 120? I have seen much about these and other SOT for ocean or lake use, but not much in small, swift streams, where maneuverability is a bigger factor.

I am 6’ 5", 215 with a 36" inseam and size 14 boot. I am currently paddling a Wave Sport Super EZ, and like it alot in Whitewater. Unfortunately, many of our close runs are Class II+ tops, with alot of flatwater paddling thrown in - something not fun in a Super EZ.One run involves a 2 mile paddle across a large reservior to the takeout at the end. For the easier runs, I would like a boat I can strech out in. My wife who doesn’t paddle WW at all, just tried out a friends Tarpon 100, and fell in love . I have yet to try one, but already see getting rod holders, etc - I have wanted a SOT

for other things. I was just wondering if is a boat I could use in the streams as well, would a 120 work as well, or is there another SOT to look at which works better, but still works well on open water. What is the maximum length Tarpon that will handle well enough for stream use? I know there used to be a couple of whitewater SOT’s, but I don’t see any anymore.

Thanks,

Don’t know about the Tarpon…
But I’ve used SOTs in WW, including the Scrambler XT (12’) and Cayman (12’6"). If it gets technical, tight and twisty, you need something like a Torrent (10’), but the Scrambler’s good up to mid-range IIIs.

Nantahala Falls, aka Lesser Wesser
is a mid range class III. All sorts of SOTs come through, and some come through upright.

THANKS
thanks for the info I have seen natahalla falls<

and imagine there is some good sot carnage> my friend used his frenzy once on class III, everytime the large keel on the bottom hit rocks - over he went. Great boat otherwise though.

I have a Tarpon 140
and if you accept the fact that is a water sport, I have no complaints. I am 6-3 and 260 pounds and I generally paddle around with about an inch of water in the cockpit due to the scupper holes. The great thing is that it cannot get any higher. I have found that if I want a dry ride, standard 1-1/8 bathtub stoppers will plug the scupper holes (I plug the four in the cockpit area) and prevent any in-leakage. As long as you use thigh straps I think that the T-140 can go just about anywhere. I chose the 140 because it has a more pronounced rocker than the 120 or 160. Plus, I like the rear tank-well. The boat is very stable, turns quickly, and leans well (again with thigh straps).

I thought the 140 had more Rocker
From the pictures, it actually looked like there

was more rocker to the 140, then even the 100.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I should try to get the wife to super size from the 100 she is looking at.

WW w/SOT’s
I’ve used an OK Drifter in the Deerfield River(MA)and it’s blast!! Mostly class I&II’s. It gets a little hairy at Zoar Gap (strong III+). But for fun in the summer time, you can’t beat it!!!