Tarpon or other SOT owners question.

Do you ever surf your boats? Any tips other than practice? I have never successfully surfed any boat, but figure fishermen have to get back to shore.

This is The Sea IV
It includes a segment on ocean fishing from a SOT, filmed in the San Diego area.

Are you talking actively surfing as an objective, or just getting through it as part of paddling to and from fishing spots?

We had to make surf landings on small surf on Catalina Island, with rented OK Scuppers. They were easy to handle in that level of stuff, easier than SINKs really, because all we had to worry about was timing it so we could jump right off and pull the kayaks up the beach before the next wave. No sprayskirts = a faster jump either out or in.

I’ve seen fishermen on SOTs go out and come in through small surf at Padre Island. How big a surf are you talking?

There are some videos here on Pnet,
that not only show take off but beaching an SOT.

There are some videos here on Pnet,
that not only show take off but beaching an SOT.

Tarpon is a fine Surf boat
I’ve seen other do well in a Tarpon 120 and my 160 surfs as well or better than many sea kayaks. If your hatches are not in great shape you will find out. As with all other boats in the surf flotation (bags) and a pump are needed.

The Tarpon is not a dedicated surf boat so don’t expect to do a bottom turn and a top turn. Just go straight in or on a Diagonal run.

An excellent video that describes how to get in and out with a sit on top Is “In the Surf” by Kent Ford.