Tattoo

It’s kind of the Golden Age of tattooing
I’ve got about 30 hours of work from a responsible artist.

Inks these days are so much more stable. But you still have to be careful.

Lots of people have tattoos that look absolutely incredible by artists who don’t consider the long term. These tattoos look stunning, but those subtle shadings that look so good now won’t look great 5,10,20 years from now.

So what you have to look for is an artist that isn’t so interested in making a tattoo that looks good in his portfolio now, but rather an artist that cares about what his work is going to look like decades from now.

Wot Kanaka ? ! No ankle amakua ?

Maybe a paddle with a hand?
As soon as i read your post i thought of the design on a shirt i was looking at on the level six website. I think it would make a decent tattoo.

http://www.levelsix.com/store/index.php/you/men/weapon-of-choice-mens-basic-t-shirt.html

DON’T!

– Last Updated: Apr-15-12 12:10 PM EST –

Now a Smurf might go to ankle.
A snake upon the calf.
And it's hard to hide
when your back side's
a stretch for tall giraffe,

When there's yin to yang your belly,
if you're throwin' in the tao,
try circlin' button
with bull moose ruttin',
a round rosy belt - There's Wow!

But don't put your tattoo on the ankle!
A paddle's for the butt!
Or shoulder blade
to those regions played
that ink not you a...What?

They say a FatElmo Tattoo on the derriere gets you free admission to the Spam Museum of Lesser New Jersey. (No wonder Elmo works the gate!)

Doesn’t work for me but if the shoe fits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XC2EHxv99k&feature=share&fb_source=message

Thanks dand883
I really like that design! In spite of all the naysayers, I really want to take the plunge.

Old Sailor Tattoos Marked Passages
Tattoos were a mark of passage on board ship.

An anchor for crossing the Atlantic (I am entitled)

An a green Turtle for crossing the equator (Questionable, I have crossed the equator, but only on a plane)

A big sailing ship for crossing the international dateline in the Pacific. TsunamiChuck’s favorite

Seriously
Go to a good jeweler and have them make you a ring or bracelet with your design. It’s removable. You can sell it later if you want.

When folks get divorced they just take off their wedding rings.

Oh I wish it was only that EZ Kudzu : )

When i was a kid , the only people
who had tats were servicemen and hookers.but then, kids had 2 parents , being pregnant in high school wasn’t ‘accepted’, and blah, blah.

http://www.wandesforde.ie/school-outings/school-tours/attachment/kayak-cartoon/

What benefit do you expect
to derive from this tattoo?

I Understand
Divorce can be hard hard hard. It’s just that most of us don’t get wedding rings tattooed on 'cause we know there’s about a 50/50 chance it won’t last.

Go for it
I would ask the artist to draw a couple of designs so you can go home and think about them. A reputable artist will do this with a deposit.

I have four tattoos, the oldest is a 20 year old color tattoo with subtle shading. It still looks great because it is on my upper thigh and doesn’t see a lot of sun. Plus, I put sunscreen on it. My other three are bold line black ink only tattoos.

One might need a touch-up (its 18 years old and sees a lot of sun). I am thinking of having it covered up with a different design.

Probably the same benefit
you expect to get when you hang a picture on a wall. Or, if you are a female, get your ears pierced.

Does there need to be a benefit though?

and
gender equality in the work place wasn’t accepted either. BTW, kids still have 2 parents - its just a biological reality of human reproduction.

Like my grandma says “We didn’t do that in my day, but today is your day”

Tattoo?
Don’t do it!

I realize I’m shoveling against the cultural tide and showing my age, but years later you will regret the tattoo. In the 60’s and 70’s I worked with WW II and Korean war vets. Many had the obligatory tattoos from getting drunk while on leave. Decades later, the tattoos were faded, washed out and generally looked like shit. Their context was passé and trite, as your currently cutting edge ones will eventually become.

Few listen to the folk music I grew up with. Soul, disco, reggae, punk and grunge have come and gone… Tattoos acceptability and desirability will also pass. EXCEPT they are very hard to remove and leave noticeably marred skin when removed. Don’t contribute to the dermatology retire plan.

Wear distinctive clothing or jewelry if you want to be noticed and commission some unique jewelry or clothing if you want something that is distinctive and unique to you.

I accept that many tattooed folks will unload on me for posting this-just my word of warning-think where you will be at 20 years from now and how the faded tattoos will look then.

Dave

One of mine IS 20 years old
and the others aren’t far behind. They aren’t faded and ugly yet, and when they are faded and ugly I probably will be too.

Lots of people regret getting tattoos, lots of people regret doing many things in their lives. If you regret getting a tattoo then when you look at it you will have a quick visual reminder, other regrets in life might not come with the same kind of visual reminder, but they are still there.

People also make really good decisions in life they don’t regret, the same goes for tattoos.

The ink has come along way since WWII and Korea. And getting a tattoo while on leave and drunk is probably not a good idea and something I would recommend against. Getting one sober from someone you have checked out and has good work is a completely different story.

If a Tattoo

– Last Updated: Apr-15-12 12:12 PM EST –

If Tatto
you choose to schlep,
on limber canvas
ask Johnny Depp,
ink not forever
where Winona goes,
lest who laser down
becomes wino

and,

A bumblebee
makes a fine tattoo,
with sting takes wing
flowery-flitter you,

and when asked someday
why ink so say, "Cuz."
but then hearing self
won't have same old buzz

however,

Triskeles
and Kells
calligraphy
may chart
symbolic
course
to thee

these glyphs
serifs
will scroll pass time
in transit
dermal
with endless
mind

A little more info…
The first step is finding a great tattoo artist. One who works in a well respected, clean, busy, tattoo studio. Visit many studios and you will be able to tell the differences. Ask to see the artists’ work to get a feel for the style and skill level.

Look for an artist who always wears gloves, and puts the machine and cable in a plastic bag as well. Look for a medical sharps container near the workstation, to know needles are being properly disposed of. A good studio will be free of chaos and clutter, and will smell hospital clean and sterile. Floors will will not have any carpet, only hard surfaces easily disinfected. Never get a tatoo at a studio that tolerates or does work on drunk or drugged out clientele.

Look for a studio that only does tattoos and piercings. Not one that also does hair or nails, or sells clothes, or bongs, or music or anything else.

Leave a deposit and have the artist draw the design for you. Don’t feel obligated if you do not like the end result. Have it re-drawn until you are completely satisfied.

Tattoo inks definately have evolved from what was common 20 years ago. Still you must treat it with care, bright colors will fade quickly, especially in the sun. I’m guessing your ankle sees a lot of sun. A good quality, sterile, black tattoo ink will stay vivid many years with proper care, make sure to use sunblock on the tat.

When you find a great tattoo artist, heed their advice. Not all drawings make good tattoos. Let them help you create something that you will enjoy for many years.