Tattoo

How about a tick?
Then every time you are out paddling, people will say “Hey, I think you picked up a tick when you went on that ‘scouting’ trip a while ago.”

Why not
A nautical star …

Packer…
If it’s on your bucket list, do it…

I got a mid-calf when I was over 50yo.

I should have had it a little lower so socks would cover it up when I dress formal(with shoes).

The more colorful the better and it won’t look like a prison tat.

I Like It.

Wotever. post a photo when the deed
is done.

You just remember when a
lady’s ankle was a naughty part.

You mean they have shoes in…
Key Largo ?

I thought Crocs was formal , and casual was barefeet!

Jack L

Danger Lies Tat-too-ied There

– Last Updated: Apr-19-12 8:18 AM EST –

Tattooed kayak on the ankle,
in rolls becomes a kankle,
the ladies this will rankle,
and in you it will swear,

but in Kankle's plucked a zither,
Lithuanians will dither,
which way these women wither,
in ink I think they'll wear

Now a zither inked on the trapezium is like a playful wrist warrant for Orion's Belt.
(A Push Your Buttons Peyote Production)

POF, that was cold.

If you want to be REALLY unique
in today’s day and age

don’t get a tattoo

in other words
make it as undisreputable as possible

what’s wrong with prison tats?
the only kind of tat I approve of

I don’t know the first thing about
the subject, but the context of the passage is most definitely NOT about explicitly defiling oneself for the dead. Or rather, that is an interpretation.

My “proof” is to invite you to turn to the passage in question, and see what the immediate context is for yourself. Kohanim, whatever that is, are not even mentioned. And most search hits for this passage label it as “various laws”, or some variant of that.

Without any further ado, the “proof”:

23 ‘When you enter the land and plant all kinds of trees for food, then you shall count their fruit as forbidden. Three years it shall be forbidden to you; it shall not be eaten. 24 But in the fourth year all its fruit shall be holy, an offering of praise to the LORD. 25 In the fifth year you are to eat of its fruit, that its yield may increase for you; I am the LORD your God.

26 ‘You shall not eat anything with the blood, nor practice divination or soothsaying. 27 You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. 28 You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

29 ‘Do not profane your daughter by making her a harlot, so that the land will not fall to harlotry and the land become full of lewdness. 30 You shall keep My sabbaths and revere My sanctuary; I am the LORD.

31 ‘Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

32 ‘You shall rise up before the grayheaded and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the LORD.

Just saying …

Interpretation of Leviticus 19:28

– Last Updated: Apr-21-12 10:54 AM EST –

Leviticus 19 is a series of commandments given to Moses to deliver to the children of Israel. The various commandments cover a vast range of subjects, all practiced at various times.

Specifically verse 28 says ..."Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you, I am the Lord." The words "for the dead" imply mourning practices that were common at the time.

"These prohibitions seem to relate to pagan religious customs which should be avoided, including pagan mourning rites (vv. 27-28) Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983–c1985). The Bible knowledge commentary: An exposition of the scriptures. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

The practice of making deep gashes on the face and arms and legs, in time of bereavement, was universal among the heathen, and it was deemed a becoming mark of respect for the dead, as well as a sort of propitiatory offering to the deities who presided over death and the grave. The Jews learned this custom in Egypt, and though weaned from it, relapsed in a later and degenerate age into this old superstition (Is 15:2; Je 16:6; 41:5). “nor print any marks upon you” (v:28 )—by tattooing, imprinting figures of flowers, leaves, stars, and other fanciful devices on various parts of their person. The impression was made sometimes by means of a hot iron, sometimes by ink or paint, as is done by the Arab females of the present day and the different castes of the Hindus. It it probable that a strong propensity to adopt such marks in honor of some idol gave occasion to the prohibition in this verse; and they were wisely forbidden. Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., Fausset, A. R., Brown, D., & Brown, D. (1997). A commentary, critical and explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments. On spine: Critical and explanatory commentary. (Le 19:28). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

“Make any cuttings in your flesh” (v:28): the reference here is to the practice of making deep gashes in the skin while mourning the death of a relative. This was done to provide life blood for the spirit of the dead person rather than to express sorrow. On account of the dead: as indicated above, this describes the purpose of all the actions in verse 27 as well as verse 28. Péter-Contesse, R., & Ellington. (1992). A handbook on Leviticus. UBS handbooks; Helps for translating (Page 296). New York: United Bible Societies."
From http://www.sacredink.net/tattoo_and_the_bible/

Sure this is one interpretation, and there can be many, as with most biblical content. It sure does seem to me though, that verse 28 refers specifically to mourning practices.

I like the "tick"
You could have it put on your toe

And you could say look at my “Tick -tat - toe” !

jack L

If You Gotta Do It
I vote for pasce’s idea… the nautical star. It’s a timeless kinda thing. A classic.

The words “for the dead” imply
mourning practices. But you’ll notice that the words “for the dead” also occur BEFORE the comma, and before the word “nor”.

While we can safely assume that the comma is an artifact of English, it is not so obvious whether the expression “for the dead” has scope over the following clause. Clearly it takes scope over what immediately precedes it (“make any cutting in your flesh”), but to interpret it as taking scope over the following clause is just that – an interpretation. Can you maybe clarify the situation a bit by informing us what tats Abraham, Jacob, Moses, or David sported? Hand and feet piercing doesn’t count.