Taunton River

I’m an early riser, so when I saw a local club trip on the Taunton River that was meeting at 8:30, I knew it was for me. The fact that it was also a river I had never paddled before was another plus. I got an email off to Bill so we could paddle tandem in his 17 Wenonah.

IMGP0181
With Bill in the 17 Wenonah

The Taunton River arises in Bridgewater, MA and flows south across most southeastern MA to empty in Mount Hope Bay in Fall River, MA. The 37-mile river is one of the flattest in New England falling only 20 feet over its entire length. That is probably why it is also the longest undammed river in New England, and also why I had never paddled it. While not particularly remote, the Taunton is a Wild and Scenic River.

IMGP0182
Typical section of the Taunton River

We put in at the Berkley Bridge in Dighton and paddled upstream about 4-miles to the new Weir Village Riverfront Park in Taunton. After a short break, we paddled back downstream, and took a short detour (about a mile) up the Three Mile River to the dam. Overall it was a 10-mile trip - very flat, so I’m glad we were paddling tandem. I was on my way home by 1:00 - perfect!

IMGP0172
The crew taking a break at Weir Village Riverfront Park

Few more pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157694784907830

It looks like a lovely paddling venue and no helmet required!

@TomL said:
It looks like a lovely paddling venue and no helmet required!

Nope - no helmet, but it was nice to paddle tandem and have second engine :wink:

Nice looking river! Looks like you had perfect weather too.

What!, no air bags, helmets, paddling a tandem canoe, and flat water! Are you feeling OK! Someone call for a doctor! :o :wink:
Sounds like a fine day on the water to me.

We paddled a portion of the Taunton four or five years ago putting in not too far from the Middleboro circle.
We did a down stream and back course and it was serene and beautiful

@JackL said:
We paddled a portion of the Taunton four or five years ago putting in not too far from the Middleboro circle.
We did a down stream and back course and it was serene and beautiful

The river is so flat that up and back paddles are easy. I’d like to do the section from Middleboro down to Taunton. I also wouldn’t mind going from Berkley Bridge down to Dighton Rock. Below that it is probably too wide open and tidal for me. The Nemasket River is also supposed to be nice.

@castoff said: :smiley:
What!, no air bags, helmets, paddling a tandem canoe, and flat water! Are you feeling OK! Someone call for a doctor! :o :wink:
Sounds like a fine day on the water to me.

Yes - man does not live by whitewater alone - sometimes flatwater paddling is required, as is poling, camping and even getting out on the ocean. I am also a lazy paddler, so tandem paddling is good. I have to admit though, whitewater is still my first choice. :smiley:

Looks like that group photo is now on the ricka.org home page. :slight_smile: I just started padding kayaks this year (or at least since I was a kid/ young adult when I used to paddle canoes a lot). I’m thinking of maybe joining ricka and/or wtpaddlers next season so I don’t have to paddle solo every weekend.

-l2t aka Ken.

@l2t said:
I’m thinking of maybe joining ricka and/or wtpaddlers next season so I don’t have to paddle solo every weekend.

-l2t aka Ken.

You should definitely join RICKA - great group. You actually don’t need to be a member to participate in trips. There are no trips scheduled this weekend, which is unusual, but the Pawtuxet trip the week after is always a nice. Not familiar with the WT paddlers.