TCS boat owners

I have paddled for over 35 years and have had both kayaks and canoes. All have been either roto molded plastic, glass or composit layup. Now on the market I see TCS being used by several boat makers. Can anyone tell me their likes and dislikes of this material?

I’ve read all what the manufacturers would have us believe, but I’d really like to hear from someone who has used the actual product. Thanks in advance.

very interesting,

– Last Updated: Jan-10-08 5:11 AM EST –

all the responses have answered my questions, thanks...

Both my wife and I own
kayaks made of TCS. Pros are: lighter, looks good and less expensive than glass, kevlar or composite. Cons: none noted after one season.

TCS observations…
My wife paddles a Current Designs Kestrel 140 in TCS.

We’ve had it about 18 months or so, and paddle frequently.

It has seen countless encounters with submerged logs, a good number of limestone ledges, and a few oyster covered rocks. And loads of sand bar scrapes.

So far, I am greatly pleased and impressed. Scracthes, yes, gouges, no, cracks, none.

Seems light and tough.

We’d recommend it.

T

I have never heard of TCS
Is it the same as the thermoform plastic. If so that could by why you have gotten few answers. Search under thermoform (sp) and you will get a lot of info.

I have a Hurricane Tracer made for it and like it very much.

Hurricane
The Hurricane plant is located of I40 in Warsaw, NC, about halfway between Raleigh and Wilmington. I called on my way to Wilmington and they said sure, drop by and see the place. (In a very country NC southern belle voice)

I missed my chance but will take the tour someday. If I ever go back plastic, that’ll be the way I go. I wonder how it is on reapairs?

I saw a tracer at Great Outdoor Provision and it is a sweet ride.

Never had to repair
mine but Hurricane said you repair them with “Super Glue”. I always carry some with me just in case.

Dave