Tempest 165 vs. 170 for 180lb?

This might give you some idea …
Not quite what you are looking for, but perhaps this will give you an idea. The Z starts higher and is a little deeper … can’t say from this how that translates to deck height down where your feet are.

The z looks like a nice boat, and the comments on it are positive.

From Wilderness Systems web site.

Deck height:

z155: 16"

z160: 17"

t165: 12.5"

t170: 13.5"

Cockpit length:

z155: 35.5"

z160: "

t165: 34"

t170: "

I suspected so
The fit is different - the Z has my knees wide apart and high, the T165 is much lower and somewhar narrower. Both positions have +/-…

I think it will come down to a “best deal” thing since I can’t decide which one I like better. I rulled out the 170 due to its more cruising than playful attitude compared to the rest of the bunch. And I seem to have a slight preference for the Z at this point over the T165, due to my intended use more for play in moving water than in open water. Should have started this topic a couple of weeks ago - just missed a barely used Z 155 for $600 on Craigs list; a bunch of T165s are also available for about $650 a pop (demos) so at these prices I think I can just get one and try it for some time to “really” figure it out -:wink:

wait till
you get ther T170 out in big waves and tough conditions…in really heavy ocean stuff. i might choose that one…i think its a very very seaworthy craft. flatwater and chop is one thing…openocean another. but i can not understand the deckheights…

the tempest 165 has a higher foredeck than the Z155.

the tempest has a foredeck that is a bit similar to a nordkapp…the z is flatter like an avocet…

ill jump out and try to measure the decks…ill be back soon…

well.
from what i can see very roughly measured . the t165 deck IS about 2cm higher than the Z155…Z155-about 29cm

T165 about 31cm…

that’s surprising
Especially given the (wacky) height measurements provided by WS. But, consider that, if there’s a slope to the foredeck, leading upward to the leading edge of the coaming… if you extend the cockpit opening at the front, you cut off some of the height that comes from that slope.

Room for big feet…
…was the concern. The Z wins that contest hands down.

Where do you measure?

– Last Updated: Oct-03-10 11:53 AM EST –

I mostly care at the last position of the footpegs...

The Tempests are boxier, especially the 170 and while being narrower, they may be taller...

As for "big ocean" conditions - I don't get these too often. It's pretty much the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac that I paddle and while the waves do get to the 5 foot range on occasion, they are steep and short. I've had the T 170 in these conditions a while ago and it was fine. But I mostly paddle 3-foot small chop and currents to be honest

More speculation …
The z 155 is wider and shorter than the t165, and the area around the front end of the cockpit, just by the pictures anyway, suggest it could be wider in that area vs.the t. There is also the shape of the hull down at the end of the cockpit … more V or upward slope of the floor could reduce room in the t.

All that said, the real answer is of course to put one’s own feet down there and see how it fits … with the what ever foot wear you paddle with. I tried a Cetus LV with socks, no problem. Then the next day, to demo, had on my teva’s … couldn’t fit.

both
the tempest 165 and the little zephyr would be perfect for that. T165 is my kayak of choice in very strong wind…the zephyr is more playful/sweet…the tempest tougher, an eXcepitionally good for strong wind.the best ive tried…

The deck height - where?

– Last Updated: Oct-03-10 1:28 PM EST –

Sorry, but I'll ask again - where did you measure the deck heights?

And how do these compare to your new Pintail?

Thanks!

No boots
I can’t fit in the T 165 with pretty much anything but neoprene socks. It would be nice to have the option to wear my WW paddling shoes but they won’t fit for sure.

Pintail
Pintail deck height is 13", according to Valley’s web site. Looking at the picture, it looks like the deck does not slope down as much toward the front bulkhead as the z … or even the t. The Pintail is a longer boat.

Never paddled one or sat in one, but did see one in a show room. Absolutely beautiful boat, and the construction and finish is Valley.

From what I’ve read, this is a fun play boat.

well
i went outside to the barn…placed the kayaks on edge and used a measuring tool.dont know the english name.

it was a rough measurement based on eyesight…

im not sure i think the pintail is higher than the Zephyr. perhaps a cm or 2 higher than the tempest…

so one will have to sit a bit different in the Z than in the others. dont forget you have plenty of adjustability with the thigh braces on the Z and T.

yes the pintail is a
wonderful kayak…extremely playful. its bigger than the T165 and Z155…the 165 is really low volume. with the Z155 you can easily get , tent, sleepingbag, etc etc …

Center Deck Height…
…at the footpegs when I paddle:

Tempest 170 = 12"

Zephyr 155 = 12"

The difference in foot room between the two boats is a function of the deck profile.

The T’s deck is more arched and tapers down quickly towards the shear while the Z’s deck is more flat-ish and carries the volume further out then plunges quickly towards the shear. This provides more room for feet.

Thank you both!
Sounds like even the Z 155 will have decent foot room for me (the T 170 does, the t 165 is a little on the low end but still OK barefoot).

Not, got to find a Z 155 to try before I make-up my mind …

REI sells them
If you’ve got an REI near you, they can order one in for you at no charge or obligation.

"Available online only"
Is what it says on the REI pages. I am pretty sure I won’t buy from them at full price (looking for used/demo at this point). Though I probably should give them a call to see if they already have one in a store locally somewhere… The next closest place that has them in-stock is about 3-4 hours away (Jersey Paddler)…

N O !!!
I can’t wait till it gets here!!!

I have the original prototype hull #1 Zephyr 16, not even a production boat and am very excited about getting carbon Z. Got a screamin’ deal on her, well I DO work there! heehee.

steve

Rub it in -;(

– Last Updated: Oct-05-10 12:54 PM EST –

But, please, do tell us how you like the carbon Z when you have had a chance to try it. I'm sure demand for the remaining 49 units will be up after that -;) Plus, there is not a single valuable review of this layup anywhere online as far as I can tell...